Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:04 AM

Panacur paste for puppies

I have heard of very young puppies reacting badly to being wormed with Panacur 10%, even 4 puppies in one litter dying after being wormed. We have a litter at the moment who are due to be wormed for the 1st time next week and we usually use Panacur paste. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Do we really need to worm for 3 days in a row for such young puppies? Mum was wormed with Panacur 10% liquid whilst pregnant following the recommended dosages.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I nearly lost the whole of my first litter immediately after using Panacur as recommended by my vet. The vet thought that it had been too harsh and had scoured out the villi throughout their digestive systems. They were hospitalised and 2 were put on a drip. We were very lucky, they all survived. An expensive 'do'.

I then heard of other people who had actually lost litters immediately after using Panacur.

Now I cant definitively say that Panacur caused these problems and I still use it for my in whelp bitches, but I reasoned that 3 doses on three consecutive days is rather a lot and also getting the dose right is quite hard when trying to accurately weigh wriggly puppies, so I have now used Drontal Puppy on all subsequent litters with no problems.

Other puppy wormers are available !!

Hope this helps

Thalice's Mum
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I use Panacur paste, I too had issues with my pups after using the liquid (i think it is very easy to overdose that way as it is a tiny amount that is really needed.)
The paste is easy to use and adminster with little wastage. Not had a problem since I started using it.
I have since found that milbemax have very tiny tablets for puppies from 2 weeks of age now (depending on their weight) so I may consider using that for when they are big enough.
Becky
skyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:29 PM
omg sorry to jump in but my vet has given this to my 11wk old pup today and i have to give it for 2 more days,dose this reaction only happen with young pups?
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I've only heard of it happening in young litters of pups and regularly use Panacur on my older dogs with no problems. Not sure in an older puppy but 3 days in a row does seem a lot.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by skyla View Post
omg sorry to jump in but my vet has given this to my 11wk old pup today and i have to give it for 2 more days,dose this reaction only happen with young pups?
I would be asking the vet why he thinks your puppy needs 3 days of a wormer quite honestly, it's quite scarey isn't it after reading all of the above, I had never heard of the dangers of this before reading this thread

I thought the 3 day rule with Panacur was for treatment of the Giardia worms ONLY, so unless your puppy has them, why has this been prescribed I wonder? I thought they use the puppy Drontal nowadays for young pups which is quite safe?

I have only heard of scare stories over the years when horses were wormed with Panacur, never dogs until now.

Good luck, you must be worried sick!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 07:04 PM
hi
panacur has different dose rates according to age and what is being treated.
dossed accurately it should cause no problems in a weaned pup(unless there is a heavy burden then vomiting or a loose tummy may occur)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by skyla View Post
Hi Dawn I have used Panacur granules with a number of puppies and have never had a problem.They are given over three consecutive days. As Tupacs says it is important to dose accurately and this means weighing the puppy and not just guessing the dose.
skyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:49 PM
hi all,thank you all for putting my mind at ease,shes just over 5kg and vet said its one line on the plunger for each kg,he showed me how to do it,as yet no sickness and no loose poo xx