View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 01:06 PM

DIY Anal Glands - How Do You Tell It's All Out?

Not the most savoury of topics - but having discovered early on that Polo's anal glands are deep seated and even the vet struggled, I have left him alone over the years but yesterday he spent ages licking himself so his skin was pink, so I decided to have a go or he would have had to wait until Monday night to see the vet.
Armed with kitchen roll, I actually managed to find the two pea sized lumps and squeezed. Out squirted a quantity of foul smelling liquid, a pale colour, but how do I know that it's all out? He certainly seems more comfortable now and overnight the soreness has gone.
I did Deccy while I was on a roll, got normal coloured and thicker consistency, less of it too.
I remember seeing a Crufts programme where a well known exhibitor was seen at his grooming parlour, and he did the anal glands on every dog that came in as a routine. How often, generally, is it safe to do?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Deccy I do Amy's about every six weeks ... because of her age she doesn't get so much exercise these days and tends to have a bit of a problem...I don't worry too much that the entire content is out but think it is anyway.

It is a quick and simple procedure and appears to be painless,this is what I do..

Standing on the left side of the dog with it's head away from me I take its tail in my left hand and lift it high. Now with my right hand and a tissue I gently squeeze each side of the dogs anus with my thumb and forefingers in a 'quarter to three' position. I do this twice then gently wipe the area with wet cotton wool .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 07:26 PM
saturn has just discovered an even better way...sit on only bit of carpet in the whole of the downstairs of the house...and drag bottom along the floor...dispensing said foul smelling and noxious stuff onto said carpet...see that bloomin pup!!!!!
Carpet also happens to be in the room the computers in......:smt078 :smt078 :smt078

Sorry had to share...but good to know how to do it in a more controlled manner...and of course...OUSIDE!!!!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 12:47 PM
OMG I still have so much to learn about caring for a dog. I have never heard of this being done ever! Is this something that we all have to do to our dogs. I am awaiting a giant breed Can you imagine.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah Roxy gets this frequenly, I cant stand the smell though so i take her to the vets.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Can I ask..

(blurgh just eaten yoghurt............)

Does this HAVE to be done? How do you know if it needs doing?

There have been the odd occasions when Bodhi will lick for a longer period, and there has been this FOUL smelling yak on her breath - like a metallic smell - the only way I can describe it....

Is this her sorting her glands?!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
Can I ask..

There have been the odd occasions when Bodhi will lick for a longer period, and there has been this FOUL smelling yak on her breath - like a metallic smell - the only way I can describe it....

No most Dogs empty them when going for a Pooh

Parker had a real problem with his.He now has bran in his dinner every Day and Raw Chicken wings 3 times a week not needed doing in about 6 months
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
Can I ask..

Hi Bodhi some dogs never need their anal glands emptying.

Anal fluid is secreted when a dog defecates/urinates and it is thought the purpose of this is to mark territory, therefore dogs that get lots of exercise have more opportunity to mark so seem to have less AG problems.

Emptying them is not as bad as it sounds and takes about 60 seconds, remember to stand at the side and breath through your mouth not your nose

There is another way to empty them but I won't go into that...yuk!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Aaah ok

I think her glands are ok then..

I think the metallic smell might have been a run up to her heat?

Dunno what it was, but it was VILE. And if she licked you sneakily, you would smell of it too, and it was HARD to wash off

Was only on the odd occasion too..
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2006, 03:00 PM
that might have been her glands Bodhi

It's such an awful smell...

Sometimes Ziggy will be sitting on your lap and will empty his for no reason... it's disgusting. Have found the only way to get rid of the smell is with plenty of bicarb... which works on stinky breath too
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >