Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 04:45 AM

Poisoning in Paphos

Just heard that 19 dogs were poisoned over the weekend in Paphos and surrounding villages. I can't put down in words what I feel for the ba......s that do this. One women actually lost both her red setters (aged about 12 and 13), as she had let them out in the garden to do their last minute business and when she went to call them they were both dead. Her garden has a high fence round it so this is obviously deliberate. Lanate is supposed to be banned in Cyprus but it is still available and this is a horrendous death for any animal.

At the moment I have not heard of anything near me but have been extremely careful with my dogs, even to the point of not letting them out in the garden until I had checked that there was nothing lying around.

Sorry had to have a rant but needed to get it off my chest.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 05:10 AM
It is so sad when people go out of their way to harm dogs - i think they should be made to suffer the same treatment if caught. Hopefully it will stay away from your area.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Obviously I would like it to stay away from my area, but I feel for the women who found her red setters dead in her garden.

I agree these people should be given the poison and let them suffer because it literally burns away at all the internal organs and it is a really horrendous death.

With small dogs you have less chance of saving them because the poison can act a lot quicker on their organs so I am being extremely vigilant.

I have always said the most important command here in Cyprus is to leave, although with lanate they only have to sniff it and wham within minutes the effects are seen.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 06:07 AM
How awful, Trish.

Hope you manage to keep your dogs safe. My sympathy to the poor lady who lost her setters xx
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Have heard of more this morning so someone has really got it in for dog owners.

I also feel for the cats because how many of these have been poisoned and gone off somewhere to die on their own.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2008, 07:02 AM
That is so sad. Unfortunately it happens all too often in many countries even in Europe; here we are in constant fear of it too and have actually decided to relocate to Italy next year because of it.

I'm involved in shelter work and I know that in Greece, they routinely put poison down everywhere just before tourist season so that the tourists don't see the stray problem.

In Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey they routinely use poison to control the stray population, and reply with a shrug if your dog is poisoned.

In Spain, they hang the dogs from trees for fun; they call it piano playing.

It's a very cruel world in fact.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 07:39 AM
i really hope they catch the scumbag whos behind this. those poor dogs. and their owners must be devastated.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 07:40 AM
I can't begin to tell you what I would like to do to the poor excuses for human beings who do such things.

Heartfelt sympathies to the people who have lost their dogs already, and I pray you keep yours safe.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 07:54 AM
This is so sad. My cousin lives in Greece with her two dogs and I'm always worried something like this will happen, as it is unfortunately a common occurance there. Sadly, I don't think the authorities will do anything about catching the b******s who have done this.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:02 AM
This is one of the reasons I will never holiday in Greece. The cruelty is unbelievable. All those cute kittens and puppies the tourists feed over the summer...do they not wonder what happens to them when the holiday season is over? Scavenge for food or get poisoned. Some Greek people campaign to stop this, but they have a long way to go. Support Greek Animal Rescue or one of the other organisations if you want to help!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >