Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Wish me luck! - first bus ride...

Well, almost 8 weeks later and I think we're ready...plus my husband won't be at home and I need to go somewhere with Ax. We going camping soon and need a fabric crate, so I'm off on the bus with him to P@H to see what size he likes.

I've not taken him on the bus or train yet, train journey will be next month. Ax has no trouble with the car, so hopefully this will translate to the bus, especially if I can keep the
people who scare him away!

How did you find your dog coped on the bus the first time?

Wish us luck!
MarkAndOscar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Ive not been on a bus yet but do you muzzle Ax?

Oscar was fine on a train and in different cars and things but was told I should really muzzle him on public transport by some one in a suit! (Possibly staff??)

Good luck and let me know how you get on!
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Kia is fine on pulic transport. Just lays at my feet the whole way! Or on my lap so she can see out the window when we go on the massive train journey back to Edinburgh - naughty I know! I've never had to muzzle her but she is a bit timid around people so just tell them she's a bit of a rescue pup and in training so they don't touch her .

As it is your first journey try and make it a quiet bus, ie, not first thing/lunch time that way you can have more space for him and less people to freak him out. Lets him get used to it without too many added distractions!

HTH

Sarah x
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:51 PM
We took Jas on his first bus ride last weekend, he is quite a confident lad generally and coped with it brilliantly. It was a bit impromptu as we were running late.
The only seats left were near the front, next to a pushchair and 2 young kids, another push chair got on at the next stop, so I moved him over next to one of the kids moms. He was brilliant, sat next to me and lapped up all the attention!! the kids just wanted to pet him, he got a bit skittish getting off but then the kids had started to crowd him a bit and get a bit excited by this point, I was on the verge of telling them it was time to leave him alone!!

My old girl was a nervous one and she was fine on the bus and trains, she was happy as long as she was with me bless her.

Hope it all goes well, I'm sure it will, just be calm and confident like its totally normal x
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 10:31 PM
ty is fine but then he has been getting on and off buses since 10 weeks of age lol since i had to get the bus from the train station home
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by MarkAndOscar View Post
Ive not been on a bus yet but do you muzzle Ax?

Oscar was fine on a train and in different cars and things but was told I should really muzzle him on public transport by some one in a suit! (Possibly staff??)

Good luck and let me know how you get on!
Don't muzzle him if he doesn't need it, you'll have hell with them accepting him on a bus as they'll think he's aggressive! I found if I ask permission or hesitate with Cain, I get refused (he is huge and GSD looking) now I just march on with him and noone says a word.

Cain is fine on the bus but he's so big we struggle to find places to put him, he won't fit under a seat. We need the back seat near the emergency exit of use the buggy bay. He travels best in the buggy bay as there's room for him to lie down.

He was absolutely fine on the bus although I hate doing it when the bus is too busy. He's only done short train journeys but he travels much better on the train, more space, less people and not as bumpy.

We've got one local guy with two rotties and an akita who he regularly takes on the bus. The sprawl out unconcious and don't move, taking up half the bus. You should see peoples faces when they have to climb over them to get off, it's hilarious dogs don't take a blind bit of notice though, just sleep!

I'm sure Axel will be fine, just start with a very short journey of a few stops, close enough to walk home if you need to if he gets stressed, and gauge his reaction. I'm sure he'll be fine though.

Try transporting a huge GSD x with fear aggression on a bus in London.... Not so much fun nah he does ok really
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys!
Well, I think it was a fair success for the first time. I'll be doing it again tonight to get to a park a little out of his walking range to practice while the goings good
I think rain was on my side yesterday, most bus drivers don't seem cruel enough to keep a lady out in the rain. I did just march on with Ax, he was a little reluctanct, but I made nothing of the whole ordeal.
He's quite tall in the back and long, so another non-under-the-seater. He had the buggy bay to himself the whole way there and back, lucky thing! He took a while to lie down, but once he did was fine, panting a bit, but his tail wasn't tucked under on the way home.
I did have him muzzled, as he's an ex-racer and not used to all little dogs yet, I keep him mostly muzzled when out, but tonight I'll give him a respite from the muzzle while on the bus - maybe people won't comment under their breath about how he needs to be muzzled "for our safety" like a woman said last night.
Great to hear so many people have dogs who are quite happy to travel on the bus, hopefully after a few more times, he'll relax and the same on trains. Bless him.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:05 AM
If there are no other dogs on the bus then he wouldn't need his muzzle while on the bus would he? He's ok with people isn't he? I wouldn't attempt to take Cain on a bus if another dog was on because he'd be a whiny pain in the backside! Lol. And I just tell people to leave him alone if I'm worried. Great news to hear it went well, I'm sure he'll be hopping on and off like it's no big deal in no time! Go Axel, big brave boy It's great to have the ability to take them on a bus when necessary.