View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 08:37 AM

What age is a puppy/dog allowed to go up and down stairs?

Hello, as most of you know we live in a maisonette and have always picked Roxy up to take her out for a wee. However last week she started running up the stairs by herself. We didn't let her at first but now we only give her a hand if it looks like she is struggling. (which has only been once or twice especially in the morning) She's never really bothered with going down the stairs as it scares her.

However me and my partner were getting ready for our walk yesterday and Roxy walked down the stairs by herself There I was panicking, looking round the house for her and she was sat on the last step smirking at me!

Anyway i said to OH we should deter that because of bones/joints e.t.c But then she started going down the stairs last night after walk and OH took her out and she went for a poo So is this her way of telling us when she needs to go out?!!?

But im confused, at what age can you let a dog go downstairs? all the books just say dont let your puppy go up or down stairs, nothing says at what age they CAN do this? help please....
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Well, if it is any help to you I have Boxers and they are carried up and down stairs until 6 months of age - getting heavy by then but would prefer to put my own back out (or Mr SB's) rather than risk damage to their joints/bones.

If you cannot carry you dog then make sure that she goes up and down stairs slowly (on lead if necessary) and never let her put a strain on her forequarters by pulling herself up stairs.

If she is going down to be let out then yes, she is telling you she needs out. But keep an eye on her if she heads for the stairs so that you can carry her or restrain her from dashing down.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Can you put a stair gate up.I would not let the Dog use the stairs until at least 6 months old longer if possible
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Well, if it is any help to you I have Boxers and they are carried up and down stairs until 6 months of age - getting heavy by then but would prefer to put my own back out (or Mr SB's) rather than risk damage to their joints/bones.

If you cannot carry you dog then make sure that she goes up and down stairs slowly (on lead if necessary) and never let her put a strain on her forequarters by pulling herself up stairs.

If she is going down to be let out then yes, she is telling you she needs out. But keep an eye on her if she heads for the stairs so that you can carry her or restrain her from dashing down.
Would echo this, it's the bounding up and down that needs to be avoided and leaping from half way down the stairs and landing at the bottom. Lots of pups think it is a great game to charge up and down the stairs. Just make sure she does it slowly
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer

SB would that advice be relevent throughout the dogs life,or just as they are developing? The reason i ask is that Ossie (13 month) SBT absolutely charges down (and up) the stairs.Usually chasing the kids.He doesn't however jump from them just goes up and down like a thing possessed.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

24-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Stamford
SB would that advice be relevent throughout the dogs life,or just as they are developing? The reason i ask is that Ossie (13 month) SBT absolutely charges down (and up) the stairs.Usually chasing the kids.He doesn't however jump from them just goes up and down like a thing possessed.
Once my dogs are over 6 months I train them to take the stairs 'steady'. Most dogs have not finished their physical development until 12 - 18 months, and longer for the very large breeds. Charging up and down stairs can not only be to the detriment of the dog's health but it can also be very dangerous for people who are using the stairs at the same time In old dogs taking stairs too enthusiastically can aggrevate joint conditions, particularly in the more stoical breeds which keep going even when they are hurting.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Thank you SB.The good thing with my boy is that he waits for the kids to reach the top before charging up,that must be instinct as i have not trained him to do this.But thanks for the advice.I will encourage him to take things slower from now on.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

24-05-2006, 10:20 AM
He obviously has natural good manners , but it would be a good thing to encourage him to take the stairs a bit less energetically
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys, she is obviously getting heavy, but not too heavy that i cant lift her for a few more weeks. I think i will continue to carry her up and down (she does tend to 'bound' upstairs). And then make her do it slowly when she gets that bit to heavy.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 10:28 PM
We've got Suki walking up the stairs and she does this quite slowly because they are very steep. We carry her down them but it's getting really difficult because she is so big now. She positively refuses to walk down. Luckily my son who is 6'4" is able to carry her!