Our sister sites
Jutus
New Member!
Male 

21-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Any Advice for new Husky owner ?

Good Day

I will Make my Story short,

Du to my Motorcycle Accident I have been out of shape for 2 years now AND By this is is Time to Achieve One of my Goals is to have a Dog

So every one in the family Has agreed and we have Found her and I am very Happy

The Only thing that Concerns me is, She is 9 months old and with how slow I am walking Will this Bother anything even if we took Multiple stops

The Dog Is a Husky and she is 9 months old
Extra Info Yes I have been with dogs and yes I am comfortable with Dogs JUST not the ones growling at me hhh

I also took my neighbor Dog for walks every day in the past

Thank you
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Hello Jutus

I think you are trying to walk before you can run here! Walking other people's dogs regularly is nothing like owning your own. On top of this, we are not talking about just any dog - but a northern breed dog, a husky, who as a breed are supremely intelligent, need an awful lot of exercise and cannot be safely let off the lead without a lot of expert training.

In addition to that, the dog is 9 months so may have acquired some very bad traits and habits. Not insurmountable because 9 months is very young, but I really would advise you to "cut your teeth" on an easier breed!

However, if you are hell bent on this dog, then my advice would be as you are a bit out of shape to get a bicycle and train the dog to run alongside on a springer - a device which attaches to the bike and to which you tether the dog to. it is slightly springy and flexible and you need to be alert else the dog will have you off, but this way you could ensure that the dog gets enough exercise.

There are several things you need to know about huskies. They have a very high prey drive, they will frequently kill cats and other pets, and disappear off over the horizon in pursuit of a rabbit or a deer.

They dig ... deep holes, the type that go down to Australia!

They are very Naughty with a capital N!! Very destructive, it is highly likely you will not be able to go out to work because you cannot leave the dog home alone. If you do, he will destroy your house - literally. He will chew through doors, eat chairs and furniture, totally trash the place as they hate to be left alone, even with the company of another dog.

If you feel you could cope with all the above, then go ahead, but my strong advice would be to get an easier breed to start off your life as a dog owner!
Jutus
New Member!
Male 

21-02-2017, 06:57 PM
@Gnasher

Very good Info Here is the thing
I am hell bent on Huskies I cant find any other bread that attracts me other then Border Collie OR Australian Shepherd
BUT they are way out of my Price range and with this Husky the price is amazing because the family wants to get rid of the dog fast

well i am out of work so there is no worry about him being alone
but about the other stuff im not sure

thanks
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Good advice and points from Gnasher.
I had a neighbour where I use to live we had fields and woods nearby which harboured all kinds of wildlife including deer. Many people advised them not to let their young husky off lead due to its prey drive and total recall deafness. They listened to the man who said it was not fair to keep it on lead and next thing they knew it had gone in hot pursuit of a deer across busy roads although where we all walked there were no roads that's how much distance it covered in a short space of time.
Eventually after a worrying two hours trying to find him they were successful. He never went off lead again.
What they did do was walk him on an extendable lead not a good lead for a strong wilful dog he pulled to say hello to someone's collie and nearly garroted the collie's owner.
He was to strong for one of those leads and the lady walking him not strong enough to control him
By the time he was 4 he had settled down somewhat could never be walked off lead though and could be temperamental with other dogs.

I am an experienced large dog owner but for me a husky would not be for me partly the off lead issue and I would not consider myself knowledgeable enough for a husky or malamute type dog.
I wish you luck and stick with us I am sure you will find some helpful advice from knowledgeable owners.
Jutus
New Member!
Male 

21-02-2017, 08:04 PM
@Lynn

Thank you
Jutus
New Member!
Male 

21-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Any Addition info ?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Yup ... don't do it! I can sense you have doubts now ... it will be 10 times worse, believe me, when it becomes a reality! huskys and mals are gorgeous dogs, but really not for novice dog owners. You say you are out of work, which implies that one day you may be out at work ... this one fact alone will make it very difficult for you, and hell for the husky.
Jutus
New Member!
Male 

21-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Wrong no doubts what so ever

just want to get all the information i can get it is just interesting
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-02-2017, 10:56 PM
I have never EVER met a responsible Husky owner who walked their dog off lead.

They are so well known in the dog world as a breed who will just run and run that it amazes me that people will get one and expect it to be like a poodle or terrier.

You will have a lot of hard work and research to do to make the life of this Husky a good life.

As others have said above, if this is your first dog, please think long and hard about what you are getting into because dogs are not like humans, they need and deserve stability, devotion, kindness, and love, and of course exercise, lots of it (especially at 9 months of age.)
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jutus View Post
@Gnasher

Very good Info Here is the thing
I am hell bent on Huskies I cant find any other bread that attracts me other then Border Collie OR Australian Shepherd
BUT they are way out of my Price range and with this Husky the price is amazing because the family wants to get rid of the dog fast

well i am out of work so there is no worry about him being alone
but about the other stuff im not sure

thanks
If you must have a Husky..............OK
We have a collie. We got him from a rescue centre.
Like most breeds, there is an entire spectrum of personalities.

We walk a lot and meet lots of other dogs (and owners!) including a Husky, dozens of Jack Russels and etc. And a few collies.

What we have observed is that the big dogs are usually the best behaved. And collies are so civil.....

Just my observations.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »