Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Amber's First Family Holiday

Amberella is now 9 months old and we went for our first family holiday last weekend
We were supposed to be staying in Whitby for a full week over the Whitby Goth Weekend, but in the end we could only make it for Saturday and Sunday.

She was upset while we packed up the car - I think she remembered last time when we drove her and Sam to Northampton, dropped them off with my mum and then went to spend five days in Essex, then came home again without Sam! She cried for five minutes, then settled down and went to sleep.

She was so excited when we arrived at the holiday cottage. We were staying with seven other people, so she made lots of new friends and had lots of people to ask for fuss and food! She was an absolute star and I was so proud of her! She has calmed down a lot in the last month or two, and was happy to entertain herself with her toys or to play nicely with whichever person happened to be nearest.
When she needed to go outside to toilet, she sat by the door staring intently at the doorhandle until someone passed and let her out (she normally whines once at home then goes to the door, but I think she was under the impression that staring at the doorhandle made it open by her will alone! ). She was thoroughly entertaining all weekend, and quite happy to be left with various new "aunts" and "uncles" so that we could go out to the stalls on Sunday morning.
She wasn't happy when we had to leave on Sunday evening, and when we got home, she searched every room, as though wondering what we had done with all her new friends!

I just wanted to share her first successful holiday
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Aww, sounds like she had a great time. And now you know how well behaved she is, you can start planning your next trip.

I was going to ask about Sam, I take it he's gone back to your Mums (which I know was always the intention, but it still must have been hard)?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Bless her, sounds like she was an absolute gem. Glad you all enjoyed your holiday.x
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Aww, sounds like she had a great time. And now you know how well behaved she is, you can start planning your next trip.

I was going to ask about Sam, I take it he's gone back to your Mums (which I know was always the intention, but it still must have been hard)?
It was awful - I think more so for me than for either dog!
We had planned for a few months to make the trip to Essex for our friend's birthday, and my mum was happy to have the dogs for us, because our friend's housemate has two working dogs, one of whom had just had a litter of pups. The dogs were stars on the trip down to Northampton and Sam was so pleased to see my mum! Apparently Amber cried for a few minutes after we had gone, but settled quite quickly. We got back five days later to collect them and mum announced that Sam was staying. I was half expecting it, but it was still a bit of a shock. Both dogs have settled down really well, although Amber has become a bit clingy when it comes to my boyfriend - she howls if he leaves the house but it seems to be getting better slowly but surely.

We already have our next trip planned - the band is performing in Nottingham, and since the hotel is pet-friendly, she is going with us! The following week, we've been invited overnight to do music at a friend's birthday party in Hull, so I just need to check that they won't mind herself tagging along. They have their own dog who is lovely and said last time that she would be welcome, so hopefully that should be fine.

I would LOVE to go camping with her. I bet she would really love it