Our sister sites
Our sister sites
michelle12
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:09 PM

New dog growls when trying to move from bed

Hi everyone, help!!!
We have just taken on a 2 year old viszla/ lab cross.
He got up on the couch and when my husband went to get him down he growled and showed his teeth. We distracted him with a treat as he is very food directed and got him of the couch. We have not allowed him on the couch since that happened yesterday.
Today he decided that the dog bed which my 1 year old viszla female sleeps in suited him better, my children went to say goodnight before going to bed. He was fine with a stroke from my 6 year old, but when my 4 year old followed, he started growling. My husband removed him from the bed to the rug immediately with some firm words. Should we be doing anything else or is there a way we can resolve this problem quickly
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi-I'm not an expert in the sense of being a professional dog trainer or behaviourist so others on here would be better equipped to advise but one point-I would tend to see the dog's bed as being a space where they are left alone and can go there as a place of refuge if you like, ie if they want to get away from your children. Therefore I think you should teach your children that if the dogs are in their beds they should be undisturbed.

However, the fact that the dog is growling at you is worrying if you have children in your house as he sounds like quite a big dog? Do you have any history on the dog?
Giving a treat may not have been the best thing to do when he growled at you on the couch as he may see this as a reward for growling. Also I would not reprimand a dog for growling as this is a warning if you like and the next time if he has been reprimanded for growling he may go straight into a bite (sorry-not trying to scare you!).

I would keep a trailing lead on him whilst he is supervised so if you need to move him off or away from anything you can do so easily and hopefully, safely.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Firstly many congratulations on taking on a rescue dog. There are so many out there needing homes, each home is like gold dust. Jolly Well done!

Its never nice when the dog we have come to love and want to be gentle and loving, growls or snarls. It can be a worrying and frightening time. Filled with dissapointment that our dog is not all wags and licks and happy smiley faces.

Growling in my view, is not aggression. it is an attempt to AVOID aggression.

Your dog is saying I do not like what you are doing. He may also be saying if you carry on doing what you are doing, then I will escalate my behaviour to the next level.

So your dog doesn't like being removed from the sofa, so either don't remove him, or don't allow him up there, or do as you did, remove him with food in a non confrontational way.

Your dog doesn't like being stroked when in his bed. Many many dogs don't. So I would stop anyone from stroking him in his bed.

Shouting at a dog, dragging it from its bed, or smacking him, will only serve to confuse him and possibly begin to damage the relationship.

If I came and woke you up and cuddled you when you where fast asleep or really comfy and enjoying your peace, and you said to me "please dont do that again, I dont like it", WOULD I CONSIDER YOU AGGRESSIVE? No, I would think you simply do not like being disturbed.

If I then carried on doing it, or worse still if I dragged you from your bed and smacked you, would that improve our relationship? Would it help you get the rest you deserved and build your trust in me? What would you do? How would you react?

When a dog values its resting time or place so much it is sometimes worth getting the vet to check them out, just in case they are unusually stiff, achy or in pain... Dogs with hip problems for instance, genuinely seem to fear or object strongly to being touched or moved when resting their achy when limbs.

If you are in any doubt about your dog or fear him in any way, then it is always worth consulting an expert. Get someone in to look at your dog, but chose the person wisely, get a recommendation from someone you know or trust and ask what experince the person has in this area and how they have dealt with such things before, before putting your dogs life in their hands. Many trainers and behaviour people are good, many are not. You need a good one.
Hope that helps and good luck with your dog.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 09:22 AM
My Lab did precisely the same thing - growling repeatedly - when we adopted him. He would jump on the sofa and when I went to make him move, he'd growl.

The growl is the warning, saying 'back off.'

It is a big worry as you don't know what he might do to follow up. I would absolutely stop your children from approaching this dog for the moment - no matter where he is, frankly.

Has this dog been properly assessed by the rescue? I recommend phoning them this morning and telling them what's happening. They need to send someone experienced in to assess this dog.

Meanwhile, if your dog gets on the sofa or anywhere you don't want him to be, you approach him calmly and confidently and quietly and make it clear he needs to move.

He has to learn some boundaries and that YOU are the one who decides where he can sleep/not sleep etc. But do not get into any physical 'battle' with him! Keep using treats - that's what I had to do for the first few weeks.

But please do get someone in to assess him and to help you develop some strategies.

That's what I had to do with my Lab and it was immensely helpful.

EDITED TO ADD

Don't be disheartened about the growling - I cannot tell you what a nightmare we had for the first three weeks after adopting Dexter. He growled frequently and went to bite us on countless occasions.

It took a good three months for him to really start settling in and relaxing. Now, nine months later, he's like a different dog, with the sweetest temperament imaginable.

It's early days for you and your new dog - chances are he's still feeling nervy and anxious and unsure.

Let him approach you and your kids when he's ready for affection, and give him plenty of space for now

Do let us know how it goes
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I get the gerroff the sofa. But why are you turfing him out of his bed?
Look at it from his POV - new place, scary people, possibly hurtful. You curl up where you think you`ll be safe and they come and have a go at you. I`d growl too. The dog doesn`t know you want him to move somewhere else. All he knows is that strangers are looming at him.
I was frankly shocked that you allowed your children to then go and disturb him in his chosen safe place. That really was asking for trouble. You don`t know how he is around children, and it sounds like your children don`t understand dogs.
This sounds harsh, but you are putting the safety of everyone at risk.
With a new dog, establish rules, then let the dog settle in. Teach the children basic rules - leave the dog alone if he`s resting, sleeping or eating.
Please remember the dog doesn`t understand what you want. You have to train him to your ways. |I suggest you start with a Come, using a treat, so he associated moving with good things. Then if you have to move him it will be safe.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I'll add a plus one to no dog on the sofa and don't poke him in his bed - it's good for him to have somewhere to retreat to. Also will take him some time to settle in.

I know nothing - not a dog trainer.

Edit: and the time it took to type.... basically what claire said
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi Michelle and welcome to Dogsey I agree with advice already given and would just like to add a link to a Dogsey article 'Dogs and small children' which may be of help to you....

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=10261
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 09:53 AM
1 Instigate a nothing in life is free programme (for a while)
2 attach a light house line on the dog (never leave it on when you are not there) so you can remove dog from locations safely
3 Do not allow dog to "own" anything or anywhere
4 teach the dog "on" and "off" with the reward being contingent on the behaviour, not the other way around eg do not use bribery.
5 Invest in Mine! a guide to resource guarding in dogs by Jean Donaldson
6 Ask for help from a reputable experienced and kind dog trainer in your area.