Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2008, 05:06 PM

How long to stick it out with a fussy dog? - Burns

My 18 month old border collie has been on Burns dog food since he was about 6 months old. He's suddenly stopped eating it and just leaving it in his bowl. He's not off his food as he was happy to eat scraps/treats, just not his food. We decided to be tough and fed him nothing else, if he didn't eat his dinner he'd go hungry.

Well it's not really working! In 3 days, he's eaten half of 1 days allowance in total. He doesn't really have the weight to lose, he's not underweight but he's already on the slim side. How long should I leave it? I know a few dogs have gotten bored of Burns, and I'm considering swapping to Arden Grange. Anyone got any experience of this?

Also, our other dog is 10 now, how important is it to have her on a veteran food?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
My 18 month old border collie has been on Burns dog food since he was about 6 months old. He's suddenly stopped eating it and just leaving it in his bowl. He's not off his food as he was happy to eat scraps/treats, just not his food. We decided to be tough and fed him nothing else, if he didn't eat his dinner he'd go hungry.

Well it's not really working! In 3 days, he's eaten half of 1 days allowance in total. He doesn't really have the weight to lose, he's not underweight but he's already on the slim side. How long should I leave it? I know a few dogs have gotten bored of Burns, and I'm considering swapping to Arden Grange. Anyone got any experience of this?

Also, our other dog is 10 now, how important is it to have her on a veteran food?
There may be a bitch in season that he has scented other wise you will have to change him as I think with a young dog 3 days is enough.

You don't have to put elderly dogs on to veteran food at all if they are not overweight then stick to their normal food.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
ooooo its a tough one but I'm afraid I'm a bit mean. If I wnated to put them on something specific, they would get nothing else at all. He wont starve himself, so he will eat if he's hungry. Unless he starts to drop weight, i'd hang in there a little longer.
Incidentally, is he getting any other treats? You'd be surprised how a few rewards on a walk can add up enough to stop them eating their dinner if they're not too keen.

The only other thing I'd ask is if its a new bag of food that he's refusing? I had this recently with one of mine. I rang the company and told them he wouldnt eat the new bag of food, they sent me a replacement bag ( 15kg for the 2.5kg that I'd bought!!!) and asked me to end a sample in of the food he refused. It turns out there was a problem with that particular batch. I had thought it smelt stronger but Jack was pacing round his bowl wanting to eat, but almost scared of it.
Is anything like that possible?
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Ooo could be! He seems to go over to it then walk away in disgust, and it is a new bag. Our other dog eats it fine though.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Could well be that, I had this with Burns, it turned out that the bag had got damp in storage they replaced it and he was fine!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 06:34 PM
I had a young dog who had been fussy from day 1.Would eat if and when he wanted,looked far from great to the point I was thinking of retiring him from the ring at 2 yrs old.He was a total pain.
I knew there was nothing wrong so on the advice of a well trusted friend I did the following...
for 3 days(no more,no less) I offered him NOTHING apart from water.No treats...NOTHING.I had other dogs who ere fed as normal.It was VERY hard BUT on day 4 I put his food down...all gone and so it has been everyday till now...regardless of what is offered and he is now 6!
I know some people may say that to starve a dog for 3 days is cruel...but Alices collie had already done that himself with no benefit!
I have suggested this to a couple of other people since...has also worked for them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I gave up with Burns after a year of picky eating and put my 3 on Arden Grange. Just as good but obviously tastes better because we get polished plates. And I added all sorts of stuff to get them to eat!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:59 PM
If you're thinking of changing ...
BURNS
Contains: Brown Rice (min 63%), Chicken(min 20%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil,Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins

ARDEN GRANGE
Chicken Meal* (min 27%), Whole Grain Rice (min 26%), Whole Grain Maize, Chicken Fat*, Beet Pulp, Fresh Chicken (min 5%), Dried Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Fish Meal*, Linseed, Fish Oil*, Minerals, Vitamins, Nucleotides, Prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Cranberry Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM, Yucca Extract. * Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract.

SUPADOG WELLBEING'GREAT LIFE'
Rice (min 26%), game (min 26% of which venison min 7.5%, rabbit min 8%, salmon min 10.5%), maize (min 20%), sugar beet pulp, poultry fat, maize gluten, chicken digest, salt, with antioxidant EC additives

found supadog much more palateable than the others and also much cheaper...worth a go
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Ooo, that Supadog stuff looks good.

Well, he's eaten tonight! He must have been hungry after an evening of agility but it's all gone. Hoping for the same tomorrow, if not I might give your suggestion a go and then change.

My old girl is certainly not fat, so she can stay on the normal stuff