Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Scrapes and scratches that will not heal

I am forever bashing my shins or ankles against things [how?] and either they take ages to heal or become infected. Two days ago I somehow got a scratch on my left leg half way between my knee and my ankle, and this morning it is looking rather ugly.

Our GP is actually at the clinic here today [she comes three times a week for 1½ hours] but I really do not think it worth taking up her time. In any case she will only want to give me ABs [usually amoxycillin, which she knows I am allergic to and must not take].

If anyone has any home remedies as to how to [a] help scrapes and scratches heal and [b] try and clear up what is only a minor [so far] infection, I would be grateful.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Hi Malka,

It sounds as if you are naturally clumsy??

You're not the only one!! My arms and legs are full of bruises

For wounds, I swear by warm salt water. Bathe 3/4 times a day, and if the wound is a little weepy, cover in a sterile dressing.

If you get any scratches around the eyes, my mum used to swear by bathing them in Milk.

Hope this works

Debbie x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Both lavander and tea tree oil have healing/antispetic properties, but shouldn't really be used neat. You can pop a couple of drops of each into some carrier oil (almond oil, olive oil etc) and gently rub it onto the wound.

I make up a healing salve as below (though I'm not sure whether you can get this in Israel?)

Ingredients
42g beeswax (pellets or solid) OR 42g olive wax (vegan alternative)
42g cocoa butter
114g olive oil (any grade)
10ml (2 tsp) lavender essential oil OR 5ml lavender essential oil & 5ml rosemary essential oil

Method
Weigh out the olive oil in a measuring jug
Weigh out the cocoa butter and beeswax into a small non-stick pan and heat gently (this can be done with a bain-marie as well).
Once the wax and butter has just melted, remove from the heat and add the olive oil into the pan, mixing thoroughly.
Add the essential oil(s) and mix thoroughly.
If the mixture starts to set, apply a little more gentle heat to liquefy.
Whilst the mixture is still warm and liquid, pour into suitable clean jars/tins/containers and leave to set fully (overnight will usually do).
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

25-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
Hi Malka,

It sounds as if you are naturally clumsy??

Debbie x
Not clumsy as such, just extremely unsteady when I am on my feet using my crutches and I also fall frequently, including off my chair when reaching down to pick something up instead of using my picker-upper. Plus I tend to bash into things in my chair, my feet and lower legs getting knocked in the process.

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Both lavander and tea tree oil have healing/antispetic properties, but shouldn't really be used neat. You can pop a couple of drops of each into some carrier oil (almond oil, olive oil etc) and gently rub it onto the wound.
I have just realised that I have a little bottle of tea tree oil and I always have olive oil, so I can use some of that, but I am not sure whether I can get the ingredients to make your salve.

In the meantime my neighbour popped into the clinic for me this morning to pick up my monthly meds, and the nurse gave her a little pot of poviodine ointment and some sterile gauze squares for the inflamed scrape, with instructions that I must see Regina the GP if it gets worse.

I will not be able to get to the clinic on Sunday as Regina is here from 8 - 9.30 am so would have to wait until Tuesday when she is here 4.30 - 6pm. Failing that she is here again on Thursday from 12noon - 1.30pm, but hopefully the poviodine will help.

I just wish I could get something like Germolene here.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Malka, please take care of this wound, this is just how leg ulcers start, particularly in those of us not in the first flush of youth.

Teetree is a good, natural antiseptic. Easily available here but I'm not sure about where you are.
Do you/are you able to sit with your legs up? That might help.

I hope it isn't infected. Take care
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I would be more than willing to send you some Germolene.

You would have to message me your address.

Not a problem

Debs x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

25-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Nippy - I have a small bottle of tea tree oil and can get it, and other oils, here. I know what you mean about ulcers [and age], not helped by the fact that my feet and lower legs were badly burned about 17 years ago so the skin is very fragile.

Plus of course the mozzie bites that I tend to scratch in my sleep, and they tend to get infected...

I have actually got the box from my latest computer under the table here and have my foot up on it now, as the scrape was throbbing a bit. Empty cartons can come in handy at times for all sorts of things!

Actually I think I am a bit of a wreck at times, but what do you expect from an ancient crone like me!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Nippy - I have a small bottle of tea tree oil and can get it, and other oils, here. I know what you mean about ulcers [and age], not helped by the fact that my feet and lower legs were badly burned about 17 years ago so the skin is very fragile.

Plus of course the mozzie bites that I tend to scratch in my sleep, and they tend to get infected...

I have actually got the box from my latest computer under the table here and have my foot up on it now, as the scrape was throbbing a bit. Empty cartons can come in handy at times for all sorts of things!

Actually I think I am a bit of a wreck at times, but what do you expect from an ancient crone like me!
Ouchie
You will have to wear gloves in bed, like you do to babies to stop them scratching!
Elevating your legs is generally a good idea, so I hope it helps.
I wouldn't say you were ancient.......getting on a bit maybe!
Sorry I repeated the advice in Teetree etc thats what comes of trying to hold a conversation with my hubby at the same time as typing replies on here
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Have you tried Manuka honey?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

25-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Have you tried Manuka honey?
I have heard quite a bit about it but to the best of my knowledge it is not available here. I have also heard people talk about "local" honey being good for wounds, ie honey local to the area where one lives, but I really do not know too much about it.

Somehow though I can quite imagine Pereg removing any dressing from my leg during the night to get to honey if I did use it! It is not unknown for her to carefully remove bandaids without me knowing anything about it!

Nippy - the fire was a fluke accident. I was staying in temporary accommodation and there was no room for my cooker, so I was managing with a microwave oven, an electric frypan and a slow cooker. And a mini camping gas single burner. When one of the gas canister was used up I fitted another one on and went to put the empty canister in the bin. And dropped it on the stone tiled floor.

And it blew up setting me on fire Minor damage including the loss of my eyelashes, eyebrows and the front of my hair, but major damage to the tops of my feet and front of both shins. Oh, and burned a dress which was old but which I was rather fond of...

But hey, I am still here to tell the tale, am I not?