Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Pet Passport Scheme?

My understanding of the scheme is that you have your dog microchipped, then vaccinated against rabies then 30 days later have the blood test, if it comes back OK then 6 months from that date you can travel happily to and fro from the UK subject to the worming/tick thing.
However, my vet has said it is vaccination, then 30 days then another vaccination then 30 days for the blood test?
Becky
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-03-2007, 10:14 AM
It can happen that the dog doesn't have the required numbers of antibodies for the bloodtesting so a second shot may be necessary.

Greetings

Johan
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Your vet is wrong it is chip, vax, then 4 weeks later titre test & even if the titre level isn't high enough the advice is a second test before another vax
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Right have contacted DEFRA and have discovered that you don't have to wait 30 days from the vaccination to get your blood test. However, they did say that if your blood test fails you HAVE to have a second vaccination before having another blood test
I have, therefore, e-mailed the company who does the titre testing to find out whether there is a greater failure rate if the blood is taken earlier or not to weigh up the pros and cons!
Becky