View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ziizii
New Member!
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:00 PM

UK Hotels that accept dogs... Any advise ?

Hi everyone, this is my first post so good evening to you all and I hope you have all had a good day.

Hubs and I are off for a rare break on Monday, it’s all a bit sudden but then our motto is "nil desperandum et carpe dieum".

So as we have been blessed with some recent good health news and I am eager to see my mum and dad after a year and half of not seeing them we are going "up north”. Well north of Watford anyway!!!

My parents live in Burton upon Trent and we want to stay in hotel so we don’t have to impose upon them, especially with the dogs, even though they adore dogs, mum's immaculately-kept house with gorgeous light beige carpets is no place for black and golden dog hair which within seconds will not only get into the luxurious carpet & furnishings but they will end up finding dog hair in the fridge, the ceiling lights, the loft and no doubt they will be spitting out dog hair from their 6pm evening drinky-poo.
Even though I’m a grown woman of 43, in their house I’m still 12 years old and will get TOLD OFF! also mum is recovering from a brain tumour and the last thing I want is to get her in a tizzy and I know she will so its best for us to book somewhere and make a holiday of our visit.

This last week I have been trawling the internet and have found number of hotels that accept pets but either I need "pint sized pooches" or I'll have to "pay through-the-nose-per-dog" as soon they ask "what type".

I'm fine with the Golden, but my voice is reduced to a sudden whisper when I say “and a.... Rott......ie". ..."
“a What-ie" the reservation clerk observantly queries.

“A, erhm, hm, yes, well, very well-behaved and cute....erhm, very-puppish, erh, Scottie, no! sorry, I mean Rott.........t. Better behaved than the kids, really!”
At this point, the clerk says she has to speak to her supervisor and returns with either statement:
“We don’t allow big dogs" or “sorry we are full up”
But I hasten to add I have been accepted on the basis I take out a small mortgage, bring and 7ft tall and broad security guard and have the dog tethered by iron chain-link collar and lead!

Whilst I do understand that people are going to be nervous of certain breeds I am just perplexed by the fact that the Rottie is assumed to be a man-eating, ultimate fighting machine.

Oz is not.
In fact I have written in well-known tabloid newspapers over this subject. If I called Oz a Black and Golden Shuggiewuggiewawa, people would say, Awhhhh he must be soooo cute...and if he were called a Shuggiewuggiewawa, no one would even question him when they saw him, they would just say “he's handsome boy isn’t he.. and so well behaved.”

I hope to find a good hotel with facilities as I want to be able to enjoy a swim perhaps, so indoor leisure facilities would be a great benefit.
I note that roadside hotels are now starting to accept dogs as there are many people who don’t want to leave their pets in kennels.

Would anyone have any experience of taking their dogs to hotels and especially larger dogs? As I am in a wheelchair the two dogs are now trained to be by my side and are obedient, in fact could be taken for dogs for the disabled.
I really would like to stay somewhere nice and not have to pay excessive charges purely because the dogs are larger.

So far I have been quoted £10.00 per night per dog in one of the “larger grander hotels” and yet a small, charming and welcoming pub called the Dog & Partridge, not only can offer disabled facilities but there is no charge for the dogs at all.
The latter I will most certainly stay at some point but really we are looking for somewhere that can provide the faculties we were hoping to be able to use. – any info would be most appreciated. ( sorry for the rather long post ! )
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Travel lodges all take dogs at a minimum charge.
try this site too as it has some good places.

http://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/

(dog friendly britain), won`t let me paste a link.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:19 PM
All express by holiday inn places allow dogs.

Welcome too btw
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:31 PM
MacDonald Hotels allow dogs at the Manager's discretion it is £10. per dog though. We have taken our two Borzois to the De Montfort Hotel in Kenilworth and tothe Old Swan in Harrogate. There is also Ammerton Farm in Staffordshire we have stayed there with the dogs too and they ccharge £5. for Dogs, but if you are in a wheel-chair the access ias not good and all riims are upstairs.

From a book produced by the AA in conjunction with Eukanuba "Pet Friendly Places to Stay" therre is an entry ffor Burton-on-Trent "Riverside"Riverside Frive, Branston Tel 01283 511234, no personal erxperience of this one.

Hope you enjoy your break and that your mum continues to improve.
ziizii
New Member!
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Thankyou everyone, most informative and helpful.
and Lovezois's thankyou for kind comments.

I dont leave until monday and I will pay the £10.00 charge if thats is the case but I spoke with a lovely young lady earlier who said she would "see what I can do for you" and was hopeful she could reduce the artes so fingers crossed. I shall post my findings as I hope this will help others.
The books mentioned sound a good idea and I shall see if the local book shops stock them.

I am actually looking forward to being able to use our caravan again as this is the best way but at the moment I am still recoving from a recent operation and cant lift for a couple of months so it will be nice to have a bit of room service and the like !.
Thankyou once again , it has been great finding this site this evening.
Off to bed now but I will look forward to returning over the next few days !.
Good night evenyone !
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Well I don't really have much to add to what has already been said only that I hope you have a really good time, and that you and your family continue to recover well!

I have recently recovered from an operation myself and it would be so nice to have a bit of room service make the most of it and make them work
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 11:39 PM
plenty of web-sites if you do a search, might be more up to date than books? justa thought. And free too!!

Found this one....

http://www.bestloved.com/accommodati...england-uk.php
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2007, 06:44 PM
about 50 links here:

http://uk.ask.com/web?siteid=41439033&qsrc=999&l=dis&q=UK%20Dog%20Fr iendly%20Hotels&scope=web

i got this list from ask.com with the search words "UK Dog Friendly Hotels".

but i didnt even do that bit!!! i was linked to it from the a site i have bookmarked called "Dog Friendly Britain", which has absolutely everything dog friendly business wise is on there...this site also has lists of hotels itself...you can specify area, etc.