Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:09 PM

VW Touran - anyone own one?

Hello

We are off to look at a second hand VW TOuran tommorow and just wondered if anyone owns one and has any good or bad xperiences they wish to share !!

Its a 1.9 TDI SE, and its 68,000 miles as its a 04 plate.

Have read some scary sounding reliability issues with them re the ESP, but having owned 3 golfs over the years I do love VW's.

Our current Honda has never ever failed us and is a great runner just costing us too much in fuel due to auto, and my urban only driving, and also too high now for Bruno to jump into boot. NOt to mention the fact that its going to be a wee bit small with another baby in it.

any comments appreciated
ta
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Only obvious thing (from looking... not experience) is the depreciation.. £26k to £4k in 4 years. But as your buying at the bottom of that depreciation gotta be the best time.

Found a 2006 on 47k miles for £4k !!

Seems like a good review here

http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews...article&id=720
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:30 PM
thanks, yes hence why we are not buying a new car, even if we could afford it, we figure if we get this at a decent price as there is bargaining room as suspect it may need a timing belt soon, and doesnt have much tax left, then we should be ok, the one we are going to see has full leather seats etc so its a nice model.

we dont do a huge amount of miles as its for ferrying child and dog, and one UK holiday per year so wont add huge amounts of miles to it.

THe 2006 on 4k is a very good price though - the one we are looking at is a 2004 and its £5500 they wont but we wont be offering a penny more than £5k for it....cos we dont have it !!!
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
68k would be around the "big" service for a petrol engine but I suppose it depends if you go to a dealer (not wise) or get the belt changed by a local garage.

Never had a VW but did have an Audi. Full service at 72k was over £600 (and that was quite a few years ago). Got it done local (with all original parts) for around half that.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
If its anything like the Touareg which I have they are fantastic , lovely to drive I love it.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
68k would be around the "big" service for a petrol engine but I suppose it depends if you go to a dealer (not wise) or get the belt changed by a local garage.

Never had a VW but did have an Audi. Full service at 72k was over £600 (and that was quite a few years ago). Got it done local (with all original parts) for around half that.
we have a pal who used to work for VW and now has his own garage, so its not a huge issue, also neighbour works in parts department for VW so sorted from both those angles!! and we could if wanted pay for a warranty at £25 per month to cover any scary stuff that might come up.

Thanks JB - as I say previously had Golfs ( old ones ) but never had any issues with them.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
If its anything like the Touareg which I have they are fantastic , lovely to drive I love it.
Toe-rag!!!! Heehee only kidding, i'm just jealous, because I would LOVE a Tiguan!
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Toe-rag!!!! Heehee only kidding, i'm just jealous, because I would LOVE a Tiguan!
My OH has a Tiguan and although it is lovely to drive and very economical (diesel) you would struggle to fit one Akita in the boot let alone 2.

I have the Sharan with the back seats out leaving 5 seats and a boot big enough for 4 (sadly now 3) big dogs.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
My OH has a Tiguan and although it is lovely to drive and very economical (diesel) you would struggle to fit one Akita in the boot let alone 2.

I have the Sharan with the back seats out leaving 5 seats and a boot big enough for 4 (sadly now 3) big dogs.
Oh dear We had a look and because the rear seats slide forward, ie the whole thing, not just tilt to give more space in the boot we thought the boot space looked decent enough..? Do you think there's a chance that only some models do this?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 12:40 PM
well not to be - the owners called this morning to say they had been offered a sale from dealer and were accepting it - the dealer offered 400 more than they had it listed for which I find really odd. So not sure if they were trying to see if we would be willing to match it - but there is no way we werent even planning to pay what they asked for.

Anyway all the rest are way above our price range so not sure what to look at now, was thinking a toyota verso but similar problem of just outside our price range for a diesel, which I would prefer.

Dont like zafiras and everything else is either too old or a bit big in our price range... arrggghh

on the up side I gutted my car and its shiny and polished ready to go up for sale !!! just need to find someone to buy it now !!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >