Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lewis164
New Member!
Male 

07-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Chocolate addiction

I inherited a dog with a serious chocolate addiction. She just loves it. Dark chocolate, Chocolate raisons, Coffee creams. You name it, she loves it, to the extent that she refuses to eat anything else. Beleive me, I've tried all sorts of expensive dog food & quite a lot of expensive human food. If I starve her for 24hrs she might nibble on a chocolate cookie but no real food.

No its Chocolate or nothing. I've heard that dark chocolate has positive health benifits, its got anti-oxidants. So I give her a couple of large bars a day.

Does dark chocolate have the best nutrition. I have tried chocolate raisons, thinking fruit might be good.

It doesnt seems to bother her, so mabey I should pander to her sweet tooth.

Any advice welcome
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 12:05 PM
If you're a genuine owner, I'd suggest you read up on feeding chocolate and raisins to dogs. However, I get the feeling that you already know about the toxicity of such food items since you're so specific about dark chocolate (the most toxic) and raisins (also toxic) and you're trying to gte a rise out of people, so I'd perhaps suggest if there's not really a dog at all, you get another hobby!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Have you nothing better to do?
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by lewis164 View Post
I inherited a dog with a serious chocolate addiction. She just loves it. Dark chocolate, Chocolate raisons, Coffee creams. You name it, she loves it, to the extent that she refuses to eat anything else. Beleive me, I've tried all sorts of expensive dog food & quite a lot of expensive human food. If I starve her for 24hrs she might nibble on a chocolate cookie but no real food.

No its Chocolate or nothing. I've heard that dark chocolate has positive health benifits, its got anti-oxidants. So I give her a couple of large bars a day.

Does dark chocolate have the best nutrition. I have tried chocolate raisons, thinking fruit might be good.

It doesnt seems to bother her, so mabey I should pander to her sweet tooth.

Any advice welcome
are you as divvy as this post?? feeding chocolate to dogs is like feeding a kid a bottle of meds clear off people like you dont deserve a dog!!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I think this is a "wind up"
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I think this is a "wind up"
sucsess then he wound me up bloody idiot
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
lanlear
New Member!
Male 

07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Actually my mother had a similar problem. Dogs can get easily addicted to chocolate, its much better that you don't start. Once they start eating it in large quantities they will lose their appetite for other foods.

Dark chocolate is really only good for humans in small doses. I was unaware that dogs find raison toxic, but if you google "bad for dogs" as I did, you will find it's in the list of toxic substances for dogs.

Just keep experimenting on different foods I 'm sure you will get lucky. Dogs are a bit like people in that some will have different tolerances to what is bad for them. My mothers dog lived to 15 with its "addiction". If chocolate is the ony thing your dog will eat, switch to white chocolate. It is safer

Good Luck
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-09-2010, 01:08 PM
*Thread locked pending admin review*
Closed Thread