View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 10:29 AM

I've done it! I've achieved Nirvana with Ben!!

Picture the scenario, Dear Reader. Lovely sunny day, Ben being groomed on the garden table on our patio. Very relaxed, very calm, so I thought "go for it Gnasher", no muzzle, no restraint, just get on with it ... including the brushing of the tail!! Which Ben absolutely hates, and always but always will round on me with a warning growl and maybe even an air snap. He is terribly sensitive of his tail, I would guess that someone pulled it or stamped on it, and as a consequence he just hates it being touched or brushed in any way.

I talked to him as I picked his tail up, spread it out on the table and started to brush through it. My it had a lot of stuff in there ... nothing big, but just bits of leaf and twig and mud. No reaction whatsoever. I asked OH to tell me if his eyes changed expression, which would be a warning to me, but no he just sat there with his eyes closed enjoying the attention!

Wow! This is the final hurdle that I have jumped across and cleared. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but I shall now continue to brush his tail every day, along with the rest of him. At last ... it has taken nearly 4 years ... but at last the dog trusts me even to brush his tail. It might seem like trivia, but it is a truly enormous step.

This might be a tad controversial, but I am going to say it. This is the poor dog who has been subjected to abuse via an e collar, and who must therefore be totally traumatised. Rubbish!! Absolute nonsense!

Ben clearly holds not an iota of a grudge, it has not affected him in any way whatsoever. Except to ensure a reliable recall so he can now run free, and also probably to save his life when he had the perianal fistulas.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Lovely to hear this, poor Ben, what a dreadful time he had of it, to be able to relax and enjoy being brushed and the consequent love and attention here wives during it is a wonderful thing for him
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Lovely to hear this, poor Ben, what a dreadful time he had of it, to be able to relax and enjoy being brushed and the consequent love and attention here wives during it is a wonderful thing for him
Thank you, darling, it certainly is. No dog wants to bite their owner, to growl at them or turn on them. They do it out of fear, and it is a terrible thing because some dogs never get over it. I honestly thought we never would completely with Ben. But we have, and I am so thrilled for him because he must now be truly enjoying life if he can feel so relaxed whilst his tail is being brushed. My heart bleeds for him, it really does, what he has endured we shall never fully know, but no-one will convince me that his tail was not badly hurt in some way. I cannot feel any breaks in the bones, but then they may have healed and I am not a vet. If only they could talk.

The best time is when he lies on the bed in my arms every morning whilst I drink my morning cup of tea! It is terribly unhygenic because of all the fluff, but I hoover this up off the duvet every day! He is so funny, because he pushes me gradually more and more off the bed so that he has most of the room ... he is such a git!! He gets down now immediately on being told, no having to hold him by the collar.

I think I am beginning to love him as much as I did Hal!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 11:31 AM
We'll Done Ben and you too Gnasher of course
Your time and patience with him is truly paying off.Feels great doesn't it? Am so delighted for you both,happy tail brushing!! Oh,a pic would be lovely too
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Good! I'm glad to hear this. Ben seems to have gone through a lot. The milestones are always so exciting. My Nigredo dude loves his groomy times, but then I got him as a 15 week old puppy. In any case, you've done a grand job. Good work!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Nikki, of course you love Ben as much as Hal, there is room in that big heart of yours for them all, including Tai of course, they are loved in different ways and for different things.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Well done just proves what time and patience does but obviously he now trust you not to hurt him. He will now feel much better for a good groom.
Myrsky<3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-03-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm Happy for you both
good job Gnasher! He must love you a lot
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Thank you everyone ... I am so proud of him!
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2015, 12:12 AM
Gnasher, your post was lovely to read, Ben obviously loves and trusts you and it must make you love him more than ever! I'm sure the others know but I'm relatively new to this forum - what kind of dog is he?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >