Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Shall we assume that the OP has not tried the e collar on herself?

If she had, I presume she would have stated it already.

I think the clue to this whole thing is in the heading - the OP 'let' her OH use the e collar. She seems to think that because she herself is not hitting the button, she is in some way absolved from the damage this may be doing to Ben.

If the OP really, truly believed that

a - e collars are painless

b - there's nothing wrong in using one

then she would

a - have tried it on herself

b - be hitting the button on the collar Ben wears, rather than standing by while her OH does it.

Does anyone know where the OP lives etc?

Perhaps if yes, someone should be reporting her for cruelty to Ben...?

The two bold statements above are my thoughts too.

Has she tried it on herself, when she wasn't expecting a shock, so she is not prepared for it.

Is she willing to press the button herself.

I do feel she has passed the buck onto her OH, and therefore she feels absolved of any blame. If she is prepared to go down this road, then she should be prepared to press the button herself IMO
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Great post. If only everyone was willing to put in as much work into training as you!
Thank you! I have a lot of pride in my dog and in her training,I think I've got the balance right for us - she is a lovely, sweet dog with a crazy side and I love her obedience but also her spirit

I've only had one experience of these type of collars and I cant say it was a positive one. I used to ride at a stables that opened up onto a main road. The resident jrt had a habbit of chasing anything small and furry that was nearby which put her in danger of running into the road. They had a system put in where she would get a shock if she passed the gate (I think there was a boundry wire and sensors?sorry, not sure of the full system) The problem was, the shock would not stop her if she was in full flight. Adrenalin would mean, although she felt it, she was going to fast to stop. But she learnt at what point she felt the pain and would refuse point blank to come back in through the gate which left her at risk from the road again. It certainly didnt stop her running out, but left her a quivering wreck to come back in again!
Yes, that is quite common! I think you are referring to the invisible fence system. I too have heard of problems, including a dog who died because the batteries went, so the dog went out and was killed on the road.

Wys
x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Shall we assume that the OP has not tried the e collar on herself?

If she had, I presume she would have stated it already.

I think the clue to this whole thing is in the heading - the OP 'let' her OH use the e collar. She seems to think that because she herself is not hitting the button, she is in some way absolved from the damage this may be doing to Ben.

If the OP really, truly believed that

a - e collars are painless

b - there's nothing wrong in using one

then she would

a - have tried it on herself

b - be hitting the button on the collar Ben wears, rather than standing by while her OH does it.

Does anyone know where the OP lives etc?

Perhaps if yes, someone should be reporting her for cruelty to Ben...?
Yes, you're right. I'm pretty sure she hasn't tried it on herself but just want her to confirm that herself.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I have a question for Gnasher.
Now that you know how Bril Ecollars are, if you could turn back time , would YOU use one on Hal?-if you had that time back
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Sometimes, silence and or avoidance can speak volumes.

As it appears to with the question of wether or not Gnasher has tried the collar on herself.

She never mentioned it in her op and has seemingly ignored the question ever since. I've no doubt she's seen it, its been asked often enough. As has the request for clarification on prior methods.

Come on Gnasher, its not like you're being asked to explain where the material that enters a black hole goes, or why some of it is ejected.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Sometimes, silence and or avoidance can speak volumes.
I agree. Gnasher usually has plenty to say, but she is using the cop out of saying she is only posting updates. Wonder why.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I agree. Gnasher usually has plenty to say, but she is using the cop out of saying she is only posting updates. Wonder why.
Maybe there is nothing to add at the moment, and she is seeing how things go? We did accuse her of not comitting herself to any one kind of training in the past, so we can hardly complain if she is trying to work on this one. Not playing devil's advocate but just thinking aloud here.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Maybe there is nothing to add at the moment, and she is seeing how things go? We did accuse her of not comitting herself to any one kind of training in the past, so we can hardly complain if she is trying to work on this one. Not playing devil's advocate but just thinking aloud here.
Gnasher always has plenty to say, and there are questions being asked which she is simply ignoring. I would have thought that she would have had the decency to answer the posters. Many have asked about her training before the e-collar. Why on earth did she put this thread on here if she wasn't going to respond to posters.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Gnasher always has plenty to say, and there are questions being asked which she is simply ignoring. I would have thought that she would have had the decency to answer the posters. Many have asked about her training before the e-collar. Why on earth did she put this thread on here if she wasn't going to respond to posters.
Perhaps she was feeling bad/unsure about what she had done and (misguidedly) hoped people would congratulate her on "sorting" her dog's recall problems out?
laughing dog
New Member!
Female 

05-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Oops!!! I'm new to this list......Just read your post.... JUst Awful......Try your wonderful new E Collar round your Husbands neck..and give him a full blast...WITH LUCK HE WILL COME HOME SUBDUED AND WON'T TRY IT ON THE DOG AGAIN.

Or you could try to teach this poor dog A Really reliable Recall which takes time and patience and until you=have taught it, keep on a long training line..
Closed Thread
Page 57 of 83 « First < 7 47 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 67 > Last »