View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyle217
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Is it time to put my dog to sleep? (update @ post 37)

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advise on when its the right time to put my dog to sleep. Max is a GSD that we got as a rescue 6 years ago. We're not 100% on his age but we estimate him to be around 12 years old.

Max has suffered from athiritis and hip dysplacia for many years. We have and continue to supplement him with Glucosomine, Cod Live Oil etc. This as well as vet treatment / medication has slowed the process down but now he seems to be declining more noticabley each week.

He has very little strength in his back legs and seems to support himself entirely with his front legs. He struggles to get up (although at the moment still manages to with no assistance). He tends to hop on his back legs rather than walk on them and sometimes they sway with his weight and he can't control his direction. Due to these points he struggles to get out in time and has a lot of accidents. Sometimes (generally when were not around to prompt him) he just soils his bed without getting up, so we're having to bath him frequently.

Taking him for a walk is all but impossible. 9 times out of 10 he will give up after a few minutes and refuse to move in any direction that isn't heading back home.

He is still eating well and can support himself to stand up for the duration of time it takes him to eat. We keep his water bowl next to his bed so he doesn't have to get up to drink.

My main concern is his quality of life. He is loved and cared for and the extra work in caring for him as an elderly dog doesn't bother me at all. Afterall, I made the commitment and he has been/still is a fantastic companion. This comes with the territory of being a pet owner I guess. But my point is that the majority of his days are spent just on his bed. We interact with him as much as we can under these circumstances and treat him to his favorite foods reguarly. He's just not got that same spark he use to have, I worry that he's depressed with his circumstances.

As responsible pet owners what would you do in these circumstances? My way of thinking at the moment is that I'll consider his life now the worst i'm willing to let it get. If he declines further to the point he needs assitance in just getting up to go in the garden then I'll make that difficult decision. What sort of life for him is that? Am I wrong for this? Is it better a day to soon or a minute to late? He's my first and only ever dog and I would give anything to make him better but I can't.

Also, when its time for him to be put to sleep how does the process work. I understand you can take them to the vets or have it done at home. I would opt for having it done at home as I want him to be comfortable and peaceful when the time comes. What happens with him after its done? Ideally I would like him cremated rather than buried. I don't own a house and wouldn't want to bury him somewhere I won't be living in next year. Is cremation an option? What are the costs? Would I need to take him myself or can the vet who puts him to sleep organise it?

Any advise would be great. Thanks for reading.

Kyle
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:57 AM
For me, personally, I would consider that a dog that is not able to walk reasonably ok then the quality of their life is not that which I would be willing to continue. For me it's better a week too early than a day too late.
Becky
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
For me, personally, I would consider that a dog that is not able to walk reasonably ok then the quality of their life is not that which I would be willing to continue. For me it's better a week too early than a day too late.
Becky
im sorry to hear about your dog.
imo i agree with Mahooli,as hard as it may be,
regarding 'aftercare' your vet can arrange cremation,individual with ashes casket etc or a very respectable 'standard' cremation too,or you can arrange it direct yourself with a pet crematorium.
i wish you all the best.((hugs))
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm so sad to read your post, but it is clear that you have your boy's best interest at heart.

Every dog is different and some may be quite happy to snooze away the days, so it is impossible to say for sure, but I suspect that if you get the impression that Max is depressed, you are likely to be right...you know him better than anyone.

Most dogs also get distressed when they mess their bedding/in doors and this can't be pleasant for him either.

I get the feeling that in your heart of hearts you know that it is time, but you are scared to make the 'wrong' decision. I definitely agree with the others, better a day to early than a day too late.

As Tupacs2legs says, your vet should be able to arrange cremation etc for you.

Big Hugs, its the hardest thing we have to do for our beloved companions but it does bring some comfort when you know it is the right thing to do.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:35 AM
You know and love your dog - you will know when the time comes. Every owner I know says the same thing - the first time you let it go too long. Then you swear never to do that again.
I have a very old dog who is happy to sleep the hours away till the next meal. It`s all he asks for. My GSDs would never do that and the decision to let them go is the last kind act you can do for them.

You can ask your vet to PTS at home, but it will cost quite a lot. I take mine somewhere nice for a last farelwell, then to the vet, because they all like the vet. It`s where they get biscuits. I give them a last treat (one old girl got a box of cream donuts) and sit with their head on my lap.
The vet will shave a small bit of fur from a leg, then inject a drug that sends them to sleep almost immediately. After a very short time the heart stops, and your vet will check this. Normally you will be left to grieve for a while.

It is best to make arrangements beforehand as you won`t be able to speak afterwards. Vets offer cremation by outside people. It is best to check they are reputable (sorry) and prices. I have a couple of cards with details of local pet cremation people ready as I have older dogs. If you want the ashes, make sure you tell your vet.
The ashes can be returned to you in a casket. You can keep or scatter them - a friend has put her dogs` ashes in a big plant-pot and planted a flowering shrub in it because she would never be able to leave a house where her dog is buried.
x
kyle217
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all your replies.

Hali, you have read me like a book. I know it's time, I've known for a couple of weeks now. I've just been justifying every possible reason to why I shouldn't do it yet. In reality i'm just making excuses. I just don't want to lose him... The hard part is that I know my wife is going to take it very hard and I've got to be the strong one. It sounds soft but we have no children and he's our baby you know? It's hard to keep a level head in times like this, my heart is telling me that I need to do whats right by him, it's the kindest last thing we can do for him. But my mind is telling me that i'm giving up on him.

This is the first time i've ever had to do this though and i'm sure i'll find the strength to push us through it. It's the right thing to do after all. The greif of losing him won't overshadow the joy of having him, thats for sure.
kyle217
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The vet will shave a small bit of fur from a leg, then inject a drug that sends them to sleep almost immediately. After a very short time the heart stops, and your vet will check this. Normally you will be left to grieve for a while.
x
Is this traumatic for the dog? Do they show any signs of pain during this or do they go peacefully. I'll need to prepare myself mentally if I have to watch him suffer. I know 100% that I want to be with him at the time but like I said, I just need to prepare...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by kyle217 View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

Hali, you have read me like a book. I know it's time, I've known for a couple of weeks now. I've just been justifying every possible reason to why I shouldn't do it yet. In reality i'm just making excuses. I just don't want to lose him... The hard part is that I know my wife is going to take it very hard and I've got to be the strong one. It sounds soft but we have no children and he's our baby you know? It's hard to keep a level head in times like this, my heart is telling me that I need to do whats right by him, it's the kindest last thing we can do for him. But my mind is telling me that i'm giving up on him.

This is the first time i've ever had to do this though and i'm sure i'll find the strength to push us through it. It's the right thing to do after all. The greif of losing him won't overshadow the joy of having him, thats for sure.
i know how you feel,
it will be hard........ celebrate his life and the fact he shared it with YOU.
do take care.xxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by kyle217 View Post
Is this traumatic for the dog? Do they show any signs of pain during this or do they go peacefully. I'll need to prepare myself mentally if I have to watch him suffer. I know 100% that I want to be with him at the time but like I said, I just need to prepare...
how is your boy with strangers?
have you ever had an anaesthetic? it's just like that bit when they say 'count backwards' the worst your boy should feel is the needle going in(we use the smallest possible) the real pain will be to you guys,bear in mind though,sometimes the vein can be gard to find as if he is not that active he will have low blood pressure,bear with your vet at this point,hold your boy, be strong for him and it should be very peacefull.(does your vet have a garden? we let my boy go in our garden)
xxx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I always hold them when it happens and just talk to them and cuddle them. I have had one put to sleep at home because she never liked the vets so they came to me and she went to sleep in her own bed by the radiator in the kitchen. They left me and Tawney with her to say our goodbyes and then carefully wrapped her in a rug and took her away with them. I got her ashes back a few days later and they are now with Tawney's ashes on my kitchen window ledge. Tawney had her final stroke on Bristol Temple Meads station and couldn't get up, so my OH came out of work and carried her to the car, took her to the vets near him and she was put to sleep there with me holding her and talking to her, she went very quickly indeed and was totally relaxed and fear free.
Like everyone says it is the final act you can do for them, and you owe them a dignified end with as little fear and pain as possible.
Be strong for your boy, he needs your strength and your love more than ever.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »