Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2009, 08:47 PM

Right Amount Of Food

Hello - And Help . Can someone give me an amount in grams per meal I should be feeding my 14 week old Hungarian Viszla. Currently he is having 3 meals a day of 130grams of Purina Pro Plan. He is walking twice a day for 30 minutes on long lead running.

Thanks

Bandi
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Not sure about the food, but the exercise is far too much for one so young. I think the general rule is 5 minutes for every month of their life....... Please reduce it - it could be detrimental to his bone growth.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Foods vary so I'd check on the packet and then increase or decrease the amount depending on his appetite and size. You don't want a fat puppy and if he's leaving food your probably offering too much but if he's skinny I'd offer a bit more. Hope that makes sense
I'd also be cautious about the amount of exercise. Puppies have no idea when they've done too much and its too easy to damage young joints.
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Bandi View Post
Hello - And Help . Can someone give me an amount in grams per meal I should be feeding my 14 week old Hungarian Viszla. Currently he is having 3 meals a day of 130grams of Purina Pro Plan. He is walking twice a day for 30 minutes on long lead running.

Thanks

Bandi
HAve to say that amount of exercise will lead to more than one bone disorder, is that 130g per meal, if so think that is far too much , but you would have to read the packet, I dont use these type foods but its clearly marked on how much they need
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Good advice by Dales Mum - just take it as you see it - too skinny, give some more - too fat, give less.

Also i'm afraid you are giving a bit too much exercise. Thats an awful lot for a wee pup regardless of breed. You may find find that people will be genuinely concerned when they read how much he is getting.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2009, 11:04 AM
That is more Pro Plan than I feed my Labs at that age, but only the dog's ribs can tell you what is right. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

As for the exercise, as long as you don't have to push the puppy, and avoid very much running and jumping, that shouldn't be too much. In all my years raising puppies for service dog schools, I never heard much about limiting walking or dogs damaged by too much walking.
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for that. When we got him at 9 weeks breeder told us to feed 100g 3 times a day. We just increased it a little at a time. looking at illustrated guide he is in perfect shape. we are very careful with his exercise and never push him. Thanks to all for advice.