Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Need Some Help - Dog Fight

Ok so as most of you know I have an Aussie, but I also have a nearly 11 year old Black Mouth Cur/Pit mix, Morgan. Both dogs usually do just fine together. They like to lay in the cage together and I have even caught my older dog using Chance as a pillow. They used have small tiffs if Chance tried to take a bone from Morgan, which he quickly learned was not in his best intrest, but it usually was just a correction snap and nothing more. However a total of 3 times since my husband left to go out to sea the last time (which was last May and he is since back) Morgan has attacked Chance and its been an all out attack and not really for any reason that I can see. Two of the attacks happened in the cage and one of them happened while both dogs were loose in the house. Chance went to get a bone that Morgan had shown no interest in at all and it was at least a foot and a half maybe two away from her. Chance grabbed it and she went at him. I had to kick her in the ribs and grab Chance when she let him go. It was the only way without walking away leaving her to go at him to find another way to get her off. Chance has never fought back. He just screams for help. The poor guy is so confused after these attacks.

The cage is big enough for both dogs to lay in together without laying on top of each other they just cant lay on their sides and stretch out, but can lay next to eachother in the 'normal doggy laying position' (for lack of terms). They have both been laying in there (and most of the time they both go in together on their own) together for over a year. But at five o'clock in the morning Morgan lashed out at Chance again. Like I said Chance dosent fight back, he just screams for help. Its aweful. I dont know why Morgan does this but its concerning me. It doesnt seem as if she feels guilty about anything afterwards.

O Morgan is loosing her sight. We did also find this out after Jordan had left to go out to sea. She has cateracts but still can see. The vet said there is no telling how long it will take for her to go blind. But she can still see just fine, could this have anything to do with it?

Sry its so long
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 03:37 PM
have you had her checked over by a vet? there may be some underlying medical problem...in the meantime i would try separate cages....

sorry not much more to suggest, ive never been in that situation but big hugs...

((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))
Alex
xx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 03:37 PM
How old is Chance and is she intact?
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Other than having her normal check up and getting her eyes looked at, no.

Chance will be 2 in September and no he is not intact. He was fixed when he was 11 months old. Morgan was fixed at 6 months too.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Sorry thought they were both bitches. It would seem that it is a case that the younger dog sees the weakness in the old bitch and is making a bid to take over the roost.

As to what to do it is not easy to suggest, make sure the old girl is as well as she can be and separate them if you are not in charge. Feed no bones or treats that will not be eaten immediately. Could be jealous of you now you are the only one in the house most of the time. Would try for a while to ignore both dogs as much as possible be firm with them both and no sympathy for the old lady.

Not a lot of help but the best I can manage not seeing the situation, even if I did I may not be of any help and think avoiding the problem may be the only way.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks. The bone that was taken was just a nylabone. The thing is though that Chance wont fight. He doesnt do anything. Hes a very wussy dog. But maybe your right in thinking that maybe Morgan is getting insecure cause she is getting older and she may be trying to make sure she keeps her spot. Hmmm....
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Gosh I am slow today, it is the younger dog that is a bitch and the older one the male. Now it is often the female that is the boss and will be particularly pushy before and after a season.

Now as your girl is spayed her hormones will not follow the usual pattern and some bitch do become more aggressive when spayed.

There is also a common condition that can effect the castrated male, they start to produce estrogens and begin to smell to other dogs like a bitch in season. If this is the case it could be the cause of the problem as the younger one, even if she is spayed, may still be stimulated to remove this pretend bitch from her home.

STILL not sure I have this round the right way, sorry
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 04:19 PM
LOL. No the older dog is the bitch and the younger is the male.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
That was what I thought when I reread your first post, in which case ignore what I have said and it does not apply.

Think it is the younger being pushy and think you need to withhold your attention from both dogs till it calms down. Believe me as it is a dog you have much more chance of sorting the problem.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
It sounds like it is to do with her losing her sight and she realises she has a weakness and is counter balancing by being more possessive and assertive than usual. I would get a second cage and not cage them together any more to be on the safe side.
In vuew of her age she could also be in a little pain from aching joints which would not be so obvious to us as dogs can hide pain really well until it is too severe.
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >