Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dauphin893
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2017, 12:59 AM

Nightmare Rescue Dog..Need help

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some different advice on helping with my newest rescue. Hes quite a challenge.

For starters he is a 2 year old Lab/Pitbull mix. He came from a home where he was locked in a crate 24/7 and never given any real human interaction. So of course on the few chances that he was allowed out, he learned real fast that being bad got him attention real fast.

He is completely housebroken, does wonderful in his crate and does not chew up anything other than his toys that I specifically give him.

My issue is he is ridiculously rambunctious. I know my dogs have always had the "zoomies" but this guy does them ALL THE TIME. There is no down mode with him. Ive ran him, jogged him, put him in the water and fetched him into oblivion and none of it helps. Ive tried keeping him on leash in the house while he gets adjusted to things and have literal bruises on me from the amount of force it takes just to keep him still. He is not food driven..doesnt care at all about food based rewards. I have tried a Halti and he broke it he is so strong. Ive tried keeping my voice really low as to not over excite him when he gets like this but it does nothing. Today he just ran and ran and ran around the house and ended up leaping on top of my dining room table.
For the first time ever I am at a complete loss as to how to stop this. He is a very smart boy. He knows what he is supposed to do. And he does it when he wants to..so I have no doubt he is testing me.

Second issue..he "mouths" my kids arms whenever I let him near them. Which now is not at all because the other day he did it a little too hard for my liking.They are both teenagers and quiet. I have never had a dog who has done this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My 3rd issue is he scratches incessantly. I have already made two trips to his vet and she told me (I kept the same vet as his former owners) that he has severe anxiety issues and she would always have to load him with Benadryl when she boarded him. Which apparently was quite often. So could this be part of the rambunctious behavior issue since he gets so much exercise??

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I have an in home trainer coming in next week to try to help me as well. I am very concerned that I am just not bonding with this guy because he is so exhausting to keep on top of.

Thank you!!!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2017, 06:31 AM
I would cut down the protein in his food. So find a dry complete food that is between 15 and 18 percent protein. Then do more brain training than exercise. Physical exercise makes the body tired but not the brain so all the time the brain is active the body will still keep going. Strange I know but true. Hope that helps.
Dauphin893
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Thank you Brenda
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Subject: Brain games for dogs.

Brain games for dogs.

If your dog is highly intelligent then the usual training may not be enough to mentally stimulate and consequently tire your dog. This can lead to a dog that gets in to mischief.

In addition to your usual training routine you need to be providing things that really make your dog think. Some of these may require retrieve as an end result, this is taught in our intermediate course. A help sheet is available if you would like to start this sooner, especially if your dog is very bright.

Hide the toy. Get you dog interested in a favourite toy, shut them out the room and hide the toy. Let them in and encourage the dog to find the toy using the phrase "where is it?" Vary the hiding place!

This can lead on to seek back. Whilst walking around a room or your garden, casually drop something like a glove, wallet or small bunch of keys (with a leather or fabric fob attached). Continue walking a little, then say "oh I've lost (whatever the item is)" and encourage your dog to find the item.

Either of these can end with the dog indicating the item's whereabouts or with the dog picking the item up and giving it to you (this will depend on whether you have taught retrieve yet), hence the leather fob on a small bunch of keys, some dogs won't pick up metal.

In turn this can lead to scent work. Identical items are placed in a pattern on the floor, preferably by another person. You have one item on you to pick up your scent. This is placed in the pattern, the dog is encouraged to smell your hand and then find the correct item from the pattern. (We have a work sheet for more detailed instructions on how to teach this, if you are interested in it.)

Name the toy. Every time you play with the dog with a particular toy, use the toy's name. i.e ball, bone, ring. If you have multiple toys of one type be colour specific, blue ball, red ball. This starts to teach your dog item names. You can then put two or three items out on the floor and ask your dog to select the correct toy. i.e three balls, all different colours and they must choose the colour you ask for. The reward for getting it correct is a game. If they bring the wrong one, put it back in the pattern and start again. Challenge yourself...how many item names can you successfully teach your dog and how many items can you lay in a pattern and your dog still pick the right one?

Cones. Have several cones or pots of the same type. Out of view of the dog, hide a treat under one. Encourage your dog to find the treat.

Positions. Stand, sit and down in varying patterns is the basic start point. Then reduce the amount of treats used to get the position, then increase the distance you are away from your dog when you ask them to change position. Try to do this with them remaining on the same spot, not coming forward to meet you.

Human spotting. For use when you have taught your dog to retrieve.
As with toys, name yourself and any family members for the dog. This can start as hide and seek. One person holds the dog, another goes out of sight very fast and hides. Encourage the dog to find them whilst saying "where's (insert name). Lots of praise when they are found.
You can then encourage your dog to take a toy to a specific person. In the first instance,Have your dog hold the toy, say "take it to (insert name)" and at the same time that person calls the dog. This builds up with the other person not needing to call the dog because he knows who they are that your phrase means to take the toy to them.
akitababy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2017, 03:58 AM
I would have to agree with @brenda, this will be pretty difficult since there's a great shifting on the things that he used to do. You need patience in order to train him well, I won't you wont give up on that paw. Dogs are really hard to train especially if they are old enough. If this is a bit of a challenge then might as well as for a dog trainer to help, but still keep an eye on him. I hope all is well as of the moment.
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Oh, yikes! This pup needs serious help. Jumping over the dining room table...my god. I have two words for you... DAY CARE! Camp Bow Wow works miracles. It sounds like he has a ton of nervous energy and anxiety, and being around a ton of other dogs can really calm him down. Pack mentality is a must for anxious dogs. It can make him feel much more protected and safe, plus he'll come home absolutely exhausted. I would also suggest making him a comfy permanent den. Dog need a crate, covered bed, or igloo to go into when they're out of control. Put some marrow beef bones, (ask your grocer- you can get them in bulk fairly cheap) some blankets, and make that his little space. If he already has one, put it in a dark, quiet area of the house and send him in there any time he begins to become over stimulated.This can also improve anxiety if you work him up to the point that he enjoys his little puppy nook. Like humans, dogs just need time to relax sometimes. Setting the crate as a positive, relaxing place in his mind can work wonders later on. Good luck, and remember, consistency is everything.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Sorry but must step in here and say no to putting this dog in amongst a lot of others. Not a good idea. Could cause lots of problems.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Dauphin893 View Post
Hello all,

I am hoping to get some different advice on helping with my newest rescue. Hes quite a challenge.

For starters he is a 2 year old Lab/Pitbull mix. He came from a home where he was locked in a crate 24/7 and never given any real human interaction. So of course on the few chances that he was allowed out, he learned real fast that being bad got him attention real fast.

He is completely housebroken, does wonderful in his crate and does not chew up anything other than his toys that I specifically give him.

My issue is he is ridiculously rambunctious. I know my dogs have always had the "zoomies" but this guy does them ALL THE TIME. There is no down mode with him. Ive ran him, jogged him, put him in the water and fetched him into oblivion and none of it helps. Ive tried keeping him on leash in the house while he gets adjusted to things and have literal bruises on me from the amount of force it takes just to keep him still. He is not food driven..doesnt care at all about food based rewards. I have tried a Halti and he broke it he is so strong. Ive tried keeping my voice really low as to not over excite him when he gets like this but it does nothing. Today he just ran and ran and ran around the house and ended up leaping on top of my dining room table.
For the first time ever I am at a complete loss as to how to stop this. He is a very smart boy. He knows what he is supposed to do. And he does it when he wants to..so I have no doubt he is testing me.

Second issue..he "mouths" my kids arms whenever I let him near them. Which now is not at all because the other day he did it a little too hard for my liking.They are both teenagers and quiet. I have never had a dog who has done this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My 3rd issue is he scratches incessantly. I have already made two trips to his vet and she told me (I kept the same vet as his former owners) that he has severe anxiety issues and she would always have to load him with Benadryl when she boarded him. Which apparently was quite often. So could this be part of the rambunctious behavior issue since he gets so much exercise??

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I have an in home trainer coming in next week to try to help me as well. I am very concerned that I am just not bonding with this guy because he is so exhausting to keep on top of.

Thank you!!!
How much exercise does he get? I mean like long walks off the lead.