View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2012, 09:08 AM

How long before a dog's stomach is empty?

One of the things Pereg has, SAMe, must be given on am empty stomach, so I usually give it to her during the morning as her first meal is around or after midday. Unfortunately she nicked a large chunk of frozen turkey neck about 8.30 this morning so I am not sure when to give to her.

How many hours should I wait now to make sure her stomach is empty?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Not sure but from 8.30 I think i'd give it at 12.30 but not feed again for an hour or so (if it were me)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I decided against giving it today which was a good decision as she started nagging for her lunch at about half past twelve, and no matter how many times I told her she had already eaten I could only put her off for another hour before I gave in to her entreaties and got out a chicken wing for her.

Bit of a grumble about only having one, but I think she finally got the message when I said "no more"about a zillion times!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 02:43 PM
It depends on what the dog's health, what is fed, including particle size (which can be affected by how well she chews her food, as well as what size food items you give her), whether it is dry, wet or raw (with kibble taking up to eight hours), and on what volume is fed relative to her stomach size. It can also depend on exercise and stress/adrenaline levels.

So all in all it can be highly variable.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
It was a chunk of frozen turkey neck, the size she would normally have had as a main meal - and I usually defrost them before giving them to her. I had open frozen rather a lot and some chunks had obviously been too close together so had stuck. As the easiest way of separating them is to drop them on the stone floor I put a sheet of polythene down and dropped the ones that were stuck together onto it.

Pereg was sitting watching me while I then picked them up to bag them and I suddenly realised she was not there any more, so I had a look outside and she was crunching away on a chunk she obviously nicked while I was not looking!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Naughty Pereg, fancied her dinner for breakfast today
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Naughty Pereg, fancied her dinner for breakfast today
Or she fancied it as an ice lolly

Malka that would have been likely to go down as fairly large particle size, even after being chewed a bit, and bone being harder can take longer to digest so I would have allowed about 8 hours, but it can only ever be an estimate, due to the many variables I mentioned
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Or she fancied it as an ice lolly

Malka that would have been likely to go down as fairly large particle size, even after being chewed a bit, and bone being harder can take longer to digest so I would have allowed about 8 hours, but it can only ever be an estimate, due to the many variables I mentioned
Which is one of the reasons why I finally decided not to give her the SAMe tablet today. I am rather surprised that she was asking for more food though just 5 hours after what would normally be her main meal. That was coming up to 6½ hours ago, and now she keeps hinting that she wants her supper.

Oh well, skipping her diet for one day will not really matter!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 04:54 PM
She must be having a hungry day today, I get them too
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
She must be having a hungry day today, I get them too
Are there other sorts of days