Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Rescue or Breeder?

This has probably been done before but just wondered how many people when looking for a new dog would go for a rescue dog, or a dog from a breeder?

I've had 2 rescue dogs, and one dog I have had since he was born, not from a breeder but he was a BOGOF from the second rescue dog.

I was pretty sure I wanted a puppy from a breeder with the next one, but I have been looking at rescue dogs recently and I would quite happily take a load of them home!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I think much depends on what you want to do with the dog, if you wanted to show, then breeder, if you wanted to do obed or similar and the right sort of rescue came up then that would work well,
some people with young kids feel better getting a pup, but pups can be obtained via rescue,

I have dogs that I show, breed, but I do like to have/help the odd rescue as well.

so for me, its whatever works at the time
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:19 AM
hmm well in my early days I had sort of rescues, people giving their dogs away and 1 bought in a pet shop for £5, this was many moons ago, then for the last 20 odd years I have had dogs from breeders, I work in a rescue and see some fantastic dogs go through there, and to be honest if I thought my lot would accept another dog in I would have adopted a couple of them by now, all my dogs have given me pleasure, and the breeders I got my dogs from were fantastic, so in my oppinion both ways is good, and its your choice, which way to go.

Mo
SumsX
New Member!
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I went to a breeder because i wanted a puppy a pet that i could work with from scratch, no outside influences.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Rescue for me everytime, but its particularly suitable for me because:
(1) there are always border collies in rescue
(2) I don't 'do' puppies
(3) we don't have any children in the house to consider.

I wouldn't therefore judge someone who chose to go to a reputitable breeder rather than rescue
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
For people with children would you recommend a rescue, we would like to go down that route but wonder if it would be better to get a pup.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Both, all depends on what I am after at the time
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Right now I'm not even thinking about getting another dog, just not living in the right place, and we both work. boo

But, at some point in the near future the plan is to go self employed, when that happens I'll be thinking properly about the dog to get.

I have a few things I'd like to do with dogs, and I think I'd like a Giant Schnauzer to do Schutzhund or working trials with. To be good I'll quite probably need one from working lines so a breeder maybe, but I'd be happily taken on a rescue dog from Breed Rescue.

And you never know what might happen when you visit rescues on a saturday with a nice house to take the dogs home to ey?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
rescue, every time, no question.

both dogs i have had, have been from rescues. both have been amazing dogs.

breeding, for me, is a tough one. i know too many people who want to breed purely for money. and i think this is totally wrong, and people like that are adding too much to the over population of dogs.

some breeders do it in a more responsible way, and do it for the love of the breed. i dont mind those ones, as long as they dont continuously breed.

still would always be a rescue for me though, hands down.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
rescue, every time, no question.

both dogs i have had, have been from rescues. both have been amazing dogs.

breeding, for me, is a tough one. i know too many people who want to breed purely for money. and i think this is totally wrong, and people like that are adding too much to the over population of dogs.

some breeders do it in a more responsible way, and do it for the love of the breed. i dont mind those ones, as long as they dont continuously breed.

still would always be a rescue for me though, hands down.
hi Lozzi, did you look at a few breeders dogs before getting your rescues?
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »