Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
in most breeds you will get a variation in type,

many breeders dogs can be easy to spot due to type,

vinnie is a very diff type to the other three rotties I have, hes more like his fathers lines,
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I always get asked "has she got collie in her?" when it comes to Jessie and I always reply "she is a collie". Even the vet nurse didnt think she was full collie. There is a bloke across the road who owns a BC, black and white with pricked ears...even he didnt know my 2 were collies!

They come in all shapes and sizes, colours, ear types etc but all are collie.

Look at the difference in my 2:

Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies

Leanne ... both your dogs look like Collies ???
Im confused why people cant see it, its sooooooo obvious , lol
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Australian bred KC border Collies have at least one Kelpie bitch in their make up(despite their owners/breeders denying it)They are very closely bred from dogs sent out to Australia at the beginning of the last century, which is why they appear somewhat alien to working dog breeders/owners, being much heavier in bone & coat.

It`s no great hidden secret, it`s well known, why would anyone deny it when it`s so well known ? How would adding Kelpie make them heavier in bone and coat when the Kelpie was bred in to make them more compact, light weight, faster, and shorter coated - ie the Nap type, from which the short coated Border Collies were derived - compact bodies, short coat, lighter boned....

[ image from http://www.bonnidune.com/info.html ]
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Collie guessing game

Of this group all bar one are registered BC'c and four have the same dad.

This is grandma and dranddaughter, gma is ISDS registered. Granddaughter is NOT a collie

Registered or not?

Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Lovely every one of them. That is what I love about the breed, even in a litter each pup can be so different. The breed is not about breeding identical clones its about smartness and fit for the environment it is working in
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Lovely every one of them. That is what I love about the breed, even in a litter each pup can be so different. The breed is not about breeding identical clones its about smartness and fit for the environment it is working in
Couldnt agree more

Jeanette
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

Amen to that!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
It`s no great hidden secret, it`s well known, why would anyone deny it when it`s so well known ? How would adding Kelpie make them heavier in bone and coat when the Kelpie was bred in to make them more compact, light weight, faster, and shorter coated - ie the Nap type, from which the short coated Border Collies were derived - compact bodies, short coat, lighter boned....

[ image from http://www.bonnidune.com/info.html ]

The heavier boned dogs were the ones bred to by show breeders, the Kelpie blood is denied by show breeders & their dogs were so closely bred, no wonder CEA, TNS, CL pre DNA testing was so common amongst Australian & New Zealand dogs. Even the Glaucoma that has now been found in UK BC's is all directly linked to the Australasian bloodlines, it has been claimed that ISDS dogs have been diagnosed with TNS, CL & Glaucoma-but to date I've seen no proof positive from DNA or clinical tests that this is the case.

Barbara Carpenter(doG bless her)was the main person to reveal the Kelpie blood behind the Australasian show dogs & it was vehemently denied(& still is), the Kelpie genetic input of course includes-Cryptorchidism, Hip Dysplasia, Cerebellar Abiotrophy (CA), Patella Luxation, Epilepsy, so the reasoning behind the cross is difficult to understand.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Do you never tire of your silly eye rolling attitude toward anyone who disagrees with you ?

it has been claimed that ISDS dogs have been diagnosed with TNS, CL & Glaucoma-but to date I've seen no proof positive from DNA or clinical tests that this is the case.
Ah, so because you yourself personally have`nt seen it then it can`t exist in ISDS dogs ?
You need to take the `ol blinkers off once in a while, and to realise that you are not the all knowing oracle you believe yourself to be.

TNS

http://bordercolliehealth.com/TNSdatabase.html

"TNS carriers have been identified in lines not related to the Australian and New Zealand lines
where the disease was first identified - including 100% ISDS lines."

CL

"CL is often referred to as a disease that only impacts Australasian Border Collies. This is not true.
We can only speculate that CL was believed to be associated with the Australasian Border Collies
because CL was originally identified and diagnosed in Australia more than 25 years ago. However,
since that time, in the United States, the Texas A&M University reported that it had diagnosed CL
in several Border Collies located in Texas. Although the University never released the identity of
those dogs, this occurred several years prior to the importation of any Australasian dogs to the
United States. Therefore, these dogs had to be from American and/or British lines.

Approximately 10 years ago, a Border Collie located in Great Britain died of CL. A post-mortem
examination confirmed the diagnosis. Again, the identity of the dog was never released. However,
the dog was known to be from 100% British lines.
"

If you refuse to believe it perhaps you should contact Dr Alan Wilton directly to tell him he must testing the DNA of imposter dogs or that any ISDS owners whose dogs have tested positive must be lying about their dogs` lineage, then you`d best get on to ISDS to let them know there is false DNA testing going on, [ if that`s what you really do believe ].

His email for direct contact is on the link above.
Don`t forget to let us know when he tells you that his testing is wrong and that he confirms you are right
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >