View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2009, 10:50 AM
All 3 of my dogs have been rescues. 2 from pup and 1 aged 7 when we got him. I don't mind what mine look like etc and so long as they fit the household requirements.

When we adopted Sam the 7 year old Springer I was considering a breeder but then came across the breed rescue and was going to have a rescue pup from them. We ended up with a more mature 3 legged springer who was fabulous character and a lovely boy.

I don't think it is responsible breeders that are an issue and I can't really blame people for wanting to know exactly what they are getting either or who need to fulfil an exact requirement. It is the BYB who are the problem imo and until they are tackled there are always going to be an abundance of rescue dogs needing good homes.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The only problem with responsible breeders not breeding & everyone having rescues, is that the irresponsible breeders will continue to supply puppies & these will continue to end up in rescues, so there will never be a time when there are no dogs in rescue.

Look at it from a different position, make all breeders have to abide by similar rules to the KC's ABS(health tests etc)& the puppy farmers, BYB & pet breeders would not be able to breed & sell their wares because they would never be able to conform to the requirements. I meet so many pet breeders, who basically have no idea about health testing or responsible breeding & think because their dogs appear"healthy"then they are.

I've had rescues & after I retire I will then be able to be of more assistance to rescues than I am right now.

Will I have a rescue then ? Who knows, my next two dogs are already planned, but as has happened to me in the past, if there's a vacancy here a dog usually turns up to fill it
Thanks for quoting me. You will notice in what I have written, I have not mentioned ANY breeder - responsible or irresponsible.
Please don't ask me to look at a different position re breeders when you don't know what my position is in the first place.

I answered the OP from a personal viewpoint as a pet dog owner. AS a pet dog owner, I stand by what I said.
Until there are none, rescue one!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Rescue`s for me, always. I don`t understand why so many think it`s a case of a rescue dog or a pup from a breeder - rescues are always taking in new litters, often with the dam, and also many take in pregnant bitches whose pups are born in rescue - they need homes too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Thanks for quoting me. You will notice in what I have written, I have not mentioned ANY breeder - responsible or irresponsible.
Please don't ask me to look at a different position re breeders when you don't know what my position is in the first place.

I answered the OP from a personal viewpoint as a pet dog owner. AS a pet dog owner, I stand by what I said.
Until there are none, rescue one
!

But even the pet dogs you get from rescue will have come from a breeder!!

So were would we get any dogs from (be it recue or breeder), if they had not been bred!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Rescue`s for me, always. I don`t understand why so many think it`s a case of a rescue dog or a pup from a breeder - rescues are always taking in new litters, often with the dam, and also many take in pregnant bitches whose pups are born in rescue - they need homes too.
Only speaking for myself, but the highlighted would mean I was looking for a persific pup i.e pedigree , with so much more involved.

If I was not bothered about showing or such like, and I just wanted a puppy (not particular of any type) then yes, I would look to rescue
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:04 AM
My first dog was a rescue, he was found wandering as a small pup, ended up at RSPCA nobody claimed him so we adopted him.

I would buy from a breeder now because I would want to show and would also prefer to know what is behind it. If I wasn't planning on showing I would consider a rescue, but in my breed (thankfully) they very rarely come in.

If puppy farms and BYB stopped breeding for money there wouldn't be so many to rescue.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Rescue for me every time. Unfortunately there are hundreds of my ‘breed’ in rescue and until they stop breeding for the industry always will be. But even so I would always go the rescue way, there are some fabulous dogs in rescue and pups coming in all time so why would I need to go to a breeder.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
hi Lozzi, did you look at a few breeders dogs before getting your rescues?
I wouldn’t bother going to look for breeders if I was not considering buying a pup – what would be the point?

Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
We have both but i do think it depends on what your want. If its just to be a companion or pet and your just want a dog then i would say rescue.

However if you have other dogs or kids to consider you have to go with whats best for them over all. Also if you want a very specific breed and plan to show ect then i would say breeder.
Which could also be a rescue dog - ie as a companion to a resident dog or a dog that has been in foster with kids or raised with kids and now in rescue due to circumstances.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
What would I do in future??? It's hard. I think reputable breeders should be encouraged...but I have loved rescuing Tango. My OH says he will not have another pup now, it is rescue for him all the way, but I don' t know. I think we may always have one of each
You know the OH is right now dont ya

Originally Posted by lucy-h View Post
My husband and I originally decided to get a rescue dog as our first dog. We fell in love with a boxer x stafford who was 1yr old called Wilf. He was absolutely gorgeous. After visiting him a few times, the rescue said they wanted a word with us. They'd had news (finally) from the previous owners saying he growled at their two-year old.

We were gutted. We needed a dog good with kids as there are a lot of babies/toddlers in the family. The rescue actually advised us to go get a puppy as it was the only sure way of finding a dog good with kids.
!
What a very bizarre rescue that must have been and sounds like they have very little experience with dogs!

So a dog growls at a child and that’s it its going to kill you all in your beds. To then say go to a breeder implies that no rescue could ever be trusted with kids is unbelievable. I feel very sorry for any dog in that rescue.

Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Whereas the implication from some that rescues are less safe or reliable is too explicit to be called an undertone. As I have said - there is nothing wrong with going the breeder-supplied route but I do wish people wouldn't try to rationalise that choice with sweeping and inaccurate generalisations about 'broken' rescue dogs.
Couldnt agree more but it really beggars belief when even a rescue is doing it!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But even the pet dogs you get from rescue will have come from a breeder!!

So were would we get any dogs from (be it recue or breeder), if they had not been bred!!
Well, of course I know that! I really am not that dense.
I just objected to being quoted and the reply going off at a tangent re breeders, when I hadn't even mentioned what I thought of breeders! If anyone inferred what I thought, it was only a presumption because I never stated.

To make it absolutely clear I will say something, though it wasn't the OP's question.

I am a one breed person - anyone here who knows me knows my heart lies with jack russells.
I have a friend in Holland who breeds jack russells, where they are a recognised breed. Her dogs are amongst the champions and always sought after. Her dogs never end up in rescue, she vets her homes well. I do know of two occasions where something changed in the circumstances and she took those dogs and found new homes for them. I admire her for that. She stands by her dogs. She asked me once, why I never ask for one of her dogs.
I told her, its quite simple. I adore her dogs, but as long as there is a jack russell in rescue I cannot in all conscience take one from a breeder. It is not that I am against breeding IF all breeders were like her - but it is I am pro life. And that's the stark choice. The dog in rescue may die if it doesn't get a home. I cannot in all conscience say "not my problem" when I love all jack russells.
Here is where that quote comes in, until there are NO jack russells in rescue, I will rescue one.
When there are no jack russells in rescue, I will have one from my Dutch friend. Simples
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 10:16 AM
If the rescue had not told the adopters that the dog had growled at a two year old they would have been irresponsible.Once told the adopters can make up their own minds and sign a waiver (SP?)>

I may have been unlucky but of all the rescue dogs I have had none of them have been what I would describe as easy and most have been broken in some way, some have been very broken!

However I have acted as a halfway house for several rehome/rescue dogs and they have been very nice.

It really is horses for courses.

rune
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post

Couldnt agree more but it really beggars belief when even a rescue is doing it!
Yeah, well, you know...there's rescues and there's <cough> 'rescues'.

More common in breed rescue but also found in general rescue are the unscrupulous who turn adoption enquiries into puppy sales.

Don't know what happened in the quoted case. As Rune says they are obliged to be transparent but to advise that only a puppy would offer security is balderdash.
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »