View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lordlactose
New Member!
Male 

13-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Am I handling my dog's ear problems right?

This has been an on going problem for about 3 years. A long time ago I took my dog to the vet because she would not stop itching her ears. They said it was, well I can't remember, but I think it was an infection, I am not sure though. They gave me some medicine to fix it and I can't remember the name. They gave me a wash to also use in addition to the medicine the wash is called Vet solution ear cleansing solution. I still use the wash however I do not use the medicine anymore. I thought her only ear that was a problem was her right however I recently found out I am wrong, her left is also a problem. When I sue the wash I put it on a cotton swab and go in her ear and rub it around removing the brown stuff. This night I pulled it out of her left ear and instead it had blood on it. I immediately stopped after I saw blood. This is the first time it happened so I am not too worried. Also keep in mind it has been working pretty well. After the wash is sued she itches yet. If things get worse I will update this thread. Am I handling the situation properly? I dont trust the vet I want a second opinion.

Thanx to those who give useful advice.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:51 PM
If i were you i would go back to the vet...or go to a new one if you dont like the first one!! Especially if you found blood.
She maybe has ear mites tho i am no expert!! But ears are delicate and can be really painfull so best to get her checked again Poor girl, good luck x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by lordlactose View Post
This has been an on going problem for about 3 years. A long time ago I took my dog to the vet because she would not stop itching her ears. They said it was, well I can't remember, but I think it was an infection, I am not sure though. They gave me some medicine to fix it and I can't remember the name. They gave me a wash to also use in addition to the medicine the wash is called Vet solution ear cleansing solution. I still use the wash however I do not use the medicine anymore. I thought her only ear that was a problem was her right however I recently found out I am wrong, her left is also a problem. When I sue the wash I put it on a cotton swab and go in her ear and rub it around removing the brown stuff. This night I pulled it out of her left ear and instead it had blood on it. I immediately stopped after I saw blood. This is the first time it happened so I am not too worried. Also keep in mind it has been working pretty well. After the wash is sued she itches yet. If things get worse I will update this thread. Am I handling the situation properly? I dont trust the vet I want a second opinion.

Thanx to those who give useful advice.
hi
when was the last time your dogs ears were checked by a vet?
if you dont trust this one,go to another! ears should not be left,they can be very painfull and if left untreated could lead to furthur problems like vestibular syndrome and surgery.i would not put anything down your dogs ear,it could make things worse you do not want to perferate your dogs eardrum make an appt with another vet in the morn,it may turn out to be nothing,which is good,but if it was my dog i wouldnt take the chance.sorry
goodluck
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2009, 08:19 PM
We took our pup to the vets for his injections and she said he had an ear infection. He hadn't been itching or anything but followed her advice and got ear wash and some ear drops. We returned once a week for 3 weeks ( £20 a pop) only to be told it was no better and to stop the treatment, she said it could just be making it worse! Now we just keep a check on it and clean anything out that's there.He's been fine all along. This is not the same as your problem I know but vet's don't always know best and there are plenty to choose from! Get expert advice from another one.

p.s our vet was very pleased with his ears when we last saw her!