View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Glimmering Winter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2007, 12:25 AM

How safe is it to have a 2kg chihuahua spayed?

I was planning on having Tessa spayed when she reached 6-7months old, however she is now 7 months and is in season so I will have to wait a bit longer...

but I was wondering and slightly worried at the thought of putting her through such an ordeal when she is so tiny? This must make the operation that little more compicated and how does such a small size affect the risks, such as the dangers of blood loss?.. also, is the operation more problematic when the bitch has experienced seasons already in her life?

We have three other chihuahuas... one male who is castrated and two other females who are not spayed. We keep them in the house when they are in season and they seem fine with this.

How important do you think it is to have my puppy spayed?... I really don't want to make the decision and regret it forever if something goes horribly wrong..

please give the best advise you can... Thank you
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 12:44 AM
These would definately be worth you sending an email to as they are clearly very experienced regarding Chi spay

http://www.chihuahua-rescue.com/postit/adoptintro.htm

Personally, I am absolutely 100% pro-neuter so I dont want to respond in a way which you may feel could be biased irrespective and without thought to your particular concerns, so I hope that site will be of help to you, especially if you contact them directly, with them being totally Chi-savvy which will hopefully give you the most balanced and understanding information to consider :smt001
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Hi Glimmering Winter I don't know what a good weight for a Chi is, I know when vets are preforming any operation they prefer dogs to be on the thin side rather than too fat.

I would think the blood loss is proportionate to the size of the dog .

The best person to talk to is your vet,he can advise you but no one can decide what is best but you.

Having a bitch spayed is always a hard decision and any operation does of course carry risks, but it is one risk I prefer to take .
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Personally I'd wait until she is over a year. However, it is best to talk to people who know the breed and the relevant risks about having a GA in your breed.
Good Luck with what ever you decide.
Becky