Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 12:31 PM

Max has tummy bug again

Poor Max has been sick overnight (about 1:00 am) and also a little this morning at 7:30 am. He was last fed about 10:00 pm (which is later than usual).

In himself he seems ok, a little quiet, but I think he is also very tired.

Since we rehomed him 2 1/2 years ago he has what we refer to as his 'weird sickness thing' every few months.

It always starts off with him bringing up a meal and then after his stomach is empty he brings up flemy stuff. This continues for a couple of days, after that he often gets diorreha (sorry about spelling there!).

He is his normal self the majority of the time during these bouts and I think it affects us much more than it does him!

The last time he had this was late July / early August 2006. At which time he had an x-ray to rule out any blockages / anything more sinister. His x-ray came back as fine. Our vet has been really good through all of this but she cannot give us a definite reason.

She did suggest a biopsy but she felt that as he only gets this every few months and his sympoms are quite mild she would not put him through it if he was her dog. She did say that if it becomes more frequent or more severe a biopsy would be worth considering.

He has in the past had a couple of poo samples, one tested positive for camplobactor (bad spelling there again I think!) which was clear on the second test after antibiotics. His most recent poo sample tested positive for e-coli but we were advised that it was not significant e-coli. Our vet has said that it would appear he has a sensitive tummy and he is just prone to bugs.

When we first got him he was sick and had diorreha quite often until we found a food that suited him. He has now been on Burns for almost a year now which he gets on with very well.

I am not disagreeing with our vet, she is an excellent vet and our family has been taking all of our animals there for about 20 years! I just find it so frustrating that this is something I think we are just going to have to accept. I just wondered if anyone has had any similar problems with their dogs?

I will starve him for 24 / 36 hours or so and if that doesn't solve the problem he will need his usual anti-vomiting shot and antibiotics. Only one of his bouts has been mild enough that he didn't need these.

On a positive sign though - at least we are getting our money's worth from his insurance policy!!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 12:35 PM
So sorry to hear he is going through this again Majuka.

Really hope the fella gets well soon x x
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi Natalie

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

Am a bit disappointed tonight. Poor Max has been sick again about 7:00 pm. Not sure what brought that on as he hasn't been fed all day.

Fingers crossed he is better tomorrow.

Jane
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
One of my terrier bitches used to have a dodgy tum every 5-6 months and although we tested for giardia and it said she didn't have it when she was treated for giardia it cleared up.
Becky
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
One of my terrier bitches used to have a dodgy tum every 5-6 months and although we tested for giardia and it said she didn't have it when she was treated for giardia it cleared up.
Becky

Thanks for that Becky. I have to admit I have never heard of giardia. The suggestions that have been made to me in the past were gastroenteritis and severe collitis.

Without trying to jinx things I would like to say that Max has not been sick since 7:00 pm last night. About half an hour ago I gave him a cup of plain boiled rice as the poor guy hasn't eaten since Tuesday . Just hoping it all stays down now.

Jane