View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Mine will sometimes be left all day. They are outside though and have the run of the conservatory with a dog door so they can choose whether they want to be in or out.

They dont come inside though. There are two of them though so they are company for each other.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
On the 3 days that I work I walk Tala for about 45 mins before and after work and I have a dog walker that comes in and gives her an hour's off lead run with other dogs in the middle of the day.

When I am not working I try to take her out at least every 4 hours and she gets 2-3 hours a day. The rest of the time I expect her to settle quietly even if I am in the house although we do play at times.

I applied for an adult rescue dog and was refused because she would be left (with my dog) for up to 4 hours 3 days a week.

On the other hand the person I train with thinks that I walk Tala too much and an hour's walk and 30 mins training is quite enough.

What do people think? How often do you walk your dogs and how long are you happy to leave them?
Hi Talassie leaving an adult dog 4 hours three times a week seems resonable to me (providing it gets on with the existing dog or they are seperated). A walk before leaving of 45 mins and the same later sounds ideal

Chloe being a small breed was mature at two years old, she is just over two and gets on average 45 mins walk three times a day. She is rarely left more than two hours a week. How long would I leave a dog, that depends on the dog and the circumstances but if I had to I would leave an adult dog about four hours three or four times a week.

Originally Posted by Labman View Post
. When I worked, I never worried about leaving the puppy, even at 7 weeks, half a day.
Labman isn't that statement a little misleading or have you forgotten about the other half a day...
''With many of our puppies, my wife and I were working the same hours our children were in school. The puppies were left much of the day by themselves.''
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...17#post1755917

''Enough already. Leaving a young puppy all day is a common, proven, highly workable thing as long as it gets a mid day break. It is time for people to quit guessing that it is a bad idea''
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...55#post1732855
I think there is a big difference between leaving an adult dog for a few hours a day and leaving a seven week old puppy all day with just a break at lunch time and leaving it in a crate, and crating it all night too without bedding or water as you have suggested so often .
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I think puppies need someone around most of the time so that they can learn. I wouldn't want to leave a very young puppy for more than an hour. But when they get a bit older I think it depends on the individual dog.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Just a different point of view - but if you applied for a specific adult rescue dog, maybe being left for 4 hours -with another dog - was not suitable for that particular rescue dog?
Did they say no, not any dog at all?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Just a different point of view - but if you applied for a specific adult rescue dog, maybe being left for 4 hours -with another dog - was not suitable for that particular rescue dog?
Did they say no, not any dog at all?
The dog I applied for had been booked by someone else just before I sent in my application. The feedback I got from the rescue was that 4 hours was too long for a dog to be left and to think about re-applying when I was no longer working, but they did say if the dogwalker were to take the dogs out twice a day that would be acceptable. So I think it must apply to any dog they rehome.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2010, 07:00 PM
our two are left for up to around 4 hours, we both work full time and have a have a dog walker 3 days a week and my dad comes for 1/2 day 2 days a week, they both get 30 mins play in the morning and same again at night and they just sleep when they have been out with dog walker till we get home, i personally dont think its unreasonable especially when you are offering to give a rescue dog a good home, Honey is a rescue dog and we expalined our circumstances when we got her and they came and did a house check as well and were very happy.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 09:26 AM
I thought 4 hours was ok but since speaking to the rescue I have been wondering. I suppose it depends on the individual dog (as always).
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:11 PM
i dont think 4 hours is too long, and i think its silly when rescues turn people down for such reasons when they are full to bursting with dogs needing homes!

jake doesnt get left at home for long, coz with me and my parents someone is always coming and going but i know he would be fine getting left for 4 hours, and probably more.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I have done hone checks for four different rescue groups and in all of their advice they recommend not more than 4 he's a day home alone with regular walks obviously.

It's unreasonable to suggest only people in steady long term relationships, the retired freelance or homeworkers and the unemployed can own a dog. And even if you are lucky enough to be home all day every day every one deserves to be able to go to the cinema (2-4 hours) and maybe have a meal once in a while!

Personally I believe all dogs should be trained to be left for 4-5 hours. You never know when something might happen and you need to go to hospital or just out! Dogs can't go with us everywhere. Much as we wish they could.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Sadly I don't think rescues are doing themselves any favours with their silly criteria for how long a dog should be left alone for. They are not helping themselves by turning down legate people that can offer a lovely home.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2