Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 01:24 PM

Did you find...

I have found it easy to train my second and third dogs,because they copied the oldest..I have not had any problems with recall etc,as mollie had learned it all before the two other joined her..Although I do spend time with them indivually..the basic obedience they learned from mollie..do you find it easier if you have an older dog?????
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I found Libby copied Gus when she learns things (except for recall which she seems *adamant* not to want to learn
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 01:44 PM
es I think the younger ones do learn from the older ones but they can pick up their bad habits as well for instance because the older ones go on furniture bad mom that I am the others follow so now there the best seats are all taken up by the dogs lol
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Yes, much easier. I usually start the younger dog out watching on leash while I work with the older dogs so they know what to expect when I work one on one with them.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 08:44 PM
well i only have the one doglet but he was quite good. i have heard that a second is easier so i def want one!!!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2005, 02:51 AM
Yes, a pup does learn by watching an older dog - so make sure he/she is watching a GOOD dog That is one of the reasons that I think it is a good thing to wait until the first dog is 2-3 years old before getting a puppy. By then the first one should be sufficiently well-trained to be able to set a good example to a pup. I have found that housetraining and recall in particular are far easier for a new pup to learn if he/she has an older dog who knows the ropes and can demonstrate what is required.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm so glad this thread came up, my sister wants to get an Italian Greyhound in the future and I was hoping the training would be a little easier after having Archie!

The thing is, we have already met the breeder of my sister's future IG, before I got Archie, and the first thing he said was "Oh, they are HORRIBLE little dogs, I would never let one of my IGs go to a home with one of those terriers!!" But he had a rescued westie cross and a rescued Tibetan Terrier cross! Obviously I didn't take him seriously! Well anyway, We made a deal which was that he would meet Archie and we'd go for little walks with his dogs when he's older, so he can get used to playing gently and so the breeder can see if he's suitable

This is why it's so important to me that Archie gets well trained
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 11:53 AM
I have got a puppy and she is learning things from my older two dogs i think its sweet really cos she is only 15 weeks now and she has learnt where i keep there treats and she keeps asking for them.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
I'm so glad this thread came up, my sister wants to get an Italian Greyhound in the future and I was hoping the training would be a little easier after having Archie!

The thing is, we have already met the breeder of my sister's future IG, before I got Archie, and the first thing he said was "Oh, they are HORRIBLE little dogs, I would never let one of my IGs go to a home with one of those terriers!!" But he had a rescued westie cross and a rescued Tibetan Terrier cross! Obviously I didn't take him seriously! Well anyway, We made a deal which was that he would meet Archie and we'd go for little walks with his dogs when he's older, so he can get used to playing gently and so the breeder can see if he's suitable

This is why it's so important to me that Archie gets well trained
How can anyone say archie is a horrible little dog..he gorgeous..dope needs his eye's testing!!!!(Breeder)