Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry, but would have to disagree with that, from observations yesterday!!
crufts has a bad flooring for agility..you try not to qualify your fastest/most hyped dog for there..u save that for olympia.
but what would i now

theres bad handling in every discipline.

but as ive said already on this thread..ive not seen anything 'bad' ...to be fair i dont see the point of this thread.
let alone making it agility versus showng

lots of peeps do more than one 'discipline' with their dogs.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:46 PM

What I hate to see is those handlers agility /flyball, that pick the dogs up by the scruff of the neck to place it on the ball!!

We get the argument of show handlers yanking /stringing the dog, yet no criticism towards those who pick up and fix their dogs on the line they want them to run
You are quite free to start a thread about it though.

Eta - I do not feel its right and I would certainly not use the excuse that because some handlers do this - in agility or showing - either side is 'right'.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:46 PM
I have Henry on a tight lead when I run him in the show ring, if I run him on a loose lead he gets so excited that he keeps jumping up at my back, and trying to lunge at the other dogs to play with them.

If he is on a tight lead then I have full control of him, but the lead isn't strangling him, that would be cruel, it is just tight enough for me to have full control over what he is doing as he runs alongside me.

I do exactly the same when we are out walking and have to go past a strange dog, if we meet his friends then he is on a loose lead and jumping about with them, but I keep him away from anything we're not sure of. He doesn't gasp for breath, cough or gagg, or twist and turn, it doesn't hurt him when we're out walking nor does it hurt him when I'm showing him.

I would be banished from the ring if anyone thought I was mistreating my dog..and rightly so.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:20 PM

What I hate to see is those handlers agility /flyball, that pick the dogs up by the scruff of the neck to place it on the ball!!

We get the argument of show handlers yanking /stringing the dog, yet no criticism towards those who pick up and fix their dogs on the line they want them to run
You must have missed my post then----again!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Are you telling me that high stepping almost unco-ordinated action in obedience, is natural?
Nope----I am telling you that they manage it without a lead!

A dog could be as easily taught to use a natural action and stay with the handler with its head in the right position. Then the tight leads wouldn't be needed and the dogs would look as good.

To comply with KC regs the lead would still be worn but the dog would be moving in the way you want it to without the high up choked look.

The teaching would of course take time.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Artificially, by rider riding horse into the bridle, naturally horse carrying himself
I am talking about dogs----I know how horses are forced to do it! Been there---done that. Wouldn't do it now.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I am talking about dogs----I know how horses are forced to do it! Been there---done that. Wouldn't do it now.

rune
I was talking about horses, in response to BM post , riding a horse into a bridle is not forcing, using some of the more barbaric equipment is though.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You must have missed my post then----again!

rune
Must have, sorry, did not know it was required
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:12 PM
i thought the terriers were too strung up for my liking, jmo
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
crufts has a bad flooring for agility..you try not to qualify your fastest/most hyped dog for there..u save that for olympia.
but what would i now

theres bad handling in every discipline.

but as ive said already on this thread..ive not seen anything 'bad' ...to be fair i dont see the point of this thread.
let alone making it agility versus showng
lots of peeps do more than one 'discipline' with their dogs.
I agree, but then the point of the thread seemed to be another "anti" show bashing thread!!
Page 18 of 28 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »