Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Are my dogs teeth okay?

Well I have a 14 year old Labrador/pit bull mix. He is my baby and I love him to death. As he's gotten older, his teeth have started to get yellow and some tartar build up. He only goes to the vet once a year and gets only the rabies vaccine, I really don't like bringing him there because of the stress and the "recommendations" that they always give me. I don't wish to over-vaccinate my dog and he won't eat the dry crusty Science Diet crap they always try and get me to buy. It's just a stressful situation for all of us. In order to clean his teeth, I know they'll have to put him under, which he is very old and I totally don't want him to have to go through all that. I think that his teeth might be okay without a vets cleaning but I just wanted everyone elses opinion.. maybe an expert or so. I'm an experienced dog owner and I'm pretty sure he does not need a vets cleaning but if enough people here say otherwise... to the vet he'll be going. Here is a picture of his teeth, taken today.

Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
As a pet owner opinion and not an expert I would say they look very good for his age. I wouldn't want to put a 14 year old through anaesthetic unless essential.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I am a pet owner and not an expert but your dogs teeth look clearner that my 12 year old dog and he had his teeth checked on Monday (they were fine). so yes, they look fine to me.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
No they don't need cleaning, they look great.

Give your dog a raw bone, that will clean his teeth.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2011, 02:47 PM
For a dog his age, his teeth are fabulous,

Whatever you are doing , keep doing it , as its working.

P.S, even if his teeth were a mess, at the age of the dog, I still would not put him under anesthetic just to have his teeth cleaned, if he needed to be sedated for other reasons, then i would have them cleaned.

Just get him so raw bones to chew on, this will keep his teeth in good health.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I think his teeth are remarkable for his age and no way would I stres him out with the vet
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:56 PM
For his age his teeth are in excellent condition and don't need cleaning by a vet.

In summer when they can take them outside my two get bones regularly, but in winter when we're confined to the house instead of bones I'll add M&C Fresh Breath and Dental Paste to their food to help keep their teeth clean.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Thank you everyone so much! It seems that most people agree with me on the issue. I love him and I'm so glad I won't have to stress my baby out with a vet visit right now. I normally would not even think of taking him in but his teeth had gotten quite yellow and I guess I kinda over reacted a bit. I'll be sure to give him that extra bone tonight! Thanks again everyone.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I wish my teeth were in that good a condition!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
you could also use an oral get such as Petzlife or homeopathic treatment such as Fragaria to clean his teeth, They look lovely though, in fab condition.