Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
They don't have free contraception like our country though. I also wish our country would stop having child after child too!
And we cannot supply this because it

''breaches their human rights''

give me a break
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Did you do history of the British Empire at school ?? From your opinions given on here it would appear not.

This country got very rich on the backs of third world countries that made up the British Empire, we traded in human lives, took their resources & used the people as our servants & second class.

For example Liverpool, Bristol, Glasgow etc only grew & became important on the vile & evil trade in human lives

You think that the corrupt regimes we left behind have nothing to do with this country ???

It is so sad that people do not understand the unending debt we owe the peoples of the countries we once ruled
So should we give money to Germany then?

Or is it ok to have a war and leave thousands dead, children without homes or parents.?

I still dont think we owe anybody anything.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I think that the way aid is given needs to be seriously looked at to make sure it is targeted effectively but I do believe that we owe other human beings our support in times of need.

This is not exclusive of people in our own country who live in poverty and more should be being done to effectively help them but I think it does no-one any favours to shut their eyes to the plite other countries are suffering and suffering in such a scale that most of us cannot comprehend.

Remember it is just a case of genetic luck that you were born in this country and not in the third world.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:42 PM
There have been many who have served Great Britain in years past Ghurkas for example and others who have been given a very raw deal and treated dreadfully. Until the human race start respecting each other and the world they live in, environment, other human beings, suffering through greed,corruption, money and power?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 12:07 PM
But from what some countries are saying we are not helping them by giving cash if anything we are keeping them in poverty, is that really respecting them ?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Look around at the world. Gut-wrenching poverty and disease that we can barely imagine. The prevalence of natural disasters and extreme weather events that befall other countries are a stark reminder that all countries are NOT equally able to help themselves, let along help each other. Of course that's something that sits uneasily and inconveniently with the refuseniks hoping to get a good night's sleep.
I agree with Azz.

The UK has made a habit of helping countries in times of need (WW2 being the most infamous) for a lot of years so why should we change now? I know we're not the richest country on the plant,but neither are we the poorest.Atleast here disease isnt rife,there isnt a civil war going on or elections where you risk getting shot if you dont vote for a certain person.All these things cost money whether you give it to the country in bank notes or aid.

As for the question whether other countries would come to our aid if something happened-yes they would.During the Falklands war America offered military aid,but we didnt need it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I agree with Azz.

The UK has made a habit of helping countries in times of need (WW2 being the most infamous) for a lot of years so why should we change now? I know we're not the richest country on the plant,but neither are we the poorest.Atleast here disease isnt rife,there isnt a civil war going on or elections where you risk getting shot if you dont vote for a certain person.All these things cost money whether you give it to the country in bank notes or aid.

As for the question whether other countries would come to our aid if something happened-yes they would.During the Falklands war America offered military aid,but we didnt need it.
... and that's about the ONLY country that would or has ever offered us anything! Even they're going broke now though, so that could all change!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
... and that's about the ONLY country that would or has ever offered us anything! Even they're going broke now though, so that could all change!
But to be honest-we've never needed help Helen!

Im proud of this countys achievements and how we always look after those who are less fortunate than ourselves.I know its a techy issue,but theres a reason why immigrants and those seeking refuge for war zones always want to come here and its not for our fish & chips.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Lol, no, it's our roast beef perhaps???!!!!

I don't mind us helping out in certain disasters, but I do mind when we help out to the extent that they get more than we can afford to do for ourselves! If I'm feeling loaded, then I help out or pay for my friends who are less fortunate, but when I'm feeling a bit strapped for cash, they get nowt (unless they're in dire straights of course!).

I was appalled to hear we are going to do the same thing in Afghanistan as we did in Iraq, i.e. build this, build that, no expense spared, and yet we are tightening our own belts here with all the cut-backs for our OWN citizens, it just doesn't make sense to me. They should be grateful we are clearing out the terrorists to give them a more peaceful life (and us hopefully!), and then let them get on with it, as long as we clear up after ourselves, job done! They'll soon find someone else to pick a fight with, the middle eastern countries always have, so it'll all be bombed/flattened eventually and there goes our money yet again! No, I don't like it (can yer tell!)

As for places like Somalia, where crime is absolutely rife, we give them handouts money gets into the wrong hands half the time, and so it goes on! The decent people amongst them have already found their way over here, or are on their way for their fish and chips, so what's the problem, they'll get taken care of once they're here, or by the sounds of it, long before they even get here ?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 02:35 PM
I agree that there are many people needing help in this country too, but there is so much waste(in other richer countries too, not just money ), that could help. Someone once said to me years ago "if you give good things then good things come back to you, might not be from where you give it to,but will be returned in some way". Maybe this kind of applies on a bigger scale too. Sorry am waffling
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »