Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 05:40 PM

How to stop him stopping her games.

I am currently having problems with Diesel, so came on looking for any advice. The trouble is that Honey has started to enjoy games in the evening, and when we start playing Diesel will come running in and immediatly try to get the toy off her and wont stop until he does, he will then run off with the toy leaving Honey without one, and even if I give her another one straight after he will take that one too.

Atm when me and Hun are playing Diesel is shut in another room, but I have tried using treats and leads, the only thing is I'm sometimes on my own at night so it restricts some things, but what would you suggest to do?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Shamus does this when we play with Daisy - so we just tell him to go and lie down. He grumbles, but he does.
Dzorc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2010, 05:57 PM
I think that your dog is feeling a bit jealous to the other dog, or left over in the game, so he is trying to get your attention towards him. Playing games together, where all are equal might help.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Shamus does this when we play with Daisy - so we just tell him to go and lie down. He grumbles, but he does.
Bless Shamus, I wish mine were that easy, but if you tell one to go to bed they both do I've tried holding Honey while telling Diesel bed, and then she wont play as she must think that she has done something wrong, so she will then just lay down in the living room

Originally Posted by Dzorc View Post
I think that your dog is feeling a bit jealous to the other dog, or left over in the game, so he is trying to get your attention towards him. Playing games together, where all are equal might help.
The thing is Diesel will rarely play these sort of games, he will occanisly, but Honey loves them, Diesel's games more often involve hiding his teddy and then him finding it and returning that to bed too but its hard to find a game where both will play.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
I've had this with my dogs.

The first step in achieving C&D's suggestion of telling Diesel to go and lie down is for both dogs to get used to not both doing things at the same time.

So for example, when I'm training I will usually have both in the room. One of them practices the stay while I work with the other one. At first the 'work' is no more than giving a paw, going from sit to a down etc. The one that is made to stay gets rewarded as much if not more than the one 'working' and I switch between them very quickly at first, slowly building up the time they each have to stay. Once they are comfortable with being ignored while the other one works, I up the stakes by making one stay while the other one moves around - e.g. a bit of heelwork. From that, onto fetching a toy. You could also add in the find it game for Diesel while playing with Honey.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
We have this problem as well, Honey loves to play on an evening and Kobe doesnt always play he rather just go to sleep but if Honey has a toy he will come and take it off her then she will get it back and the pair of them just annoy each other, havent had any luck yet with stopping it apart from taking the toys away but she just goes and finds them again.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I've had this with my dogs.

The first step in achieving C&D's suggestion of telling Diesel to go and lie down is for both dogs to get used to not both doing things at the same time.

So for example, when I'm training I will usually have both in the room. One of them practices the stay while I work with the other one. At first the 'work' is no more than giving a paw, going from sit to a down etc. The one that is made to stay gets rewarded as much if not more than the one 'working' and I switch between them very quickly at first, slowly building up the time they each have to stay. Once they are comfortable with being ignored while the other one works, I up the stakes by making one stay while the other one moves around - e.g. a bit of heelwork. From that, onto fetching a toy. You could also add in the find it game for Diesel while playing with Honey.
Thanks, I'll have to start getting things like that done, hopefully soon Honey will have the confidence to stay while Diesel is sent away thanks.

I would be a bit hesitant having a finding game for Diesel going on at the same time though, as if Honey drops whatever she is playing with at the time to rest while she gets her breath back it might be confusing for Diesel, as he may take that toy as part of his game, as along with a rope toy with a ball at the end she likes to play with a tiger toy that she and Diesel both got for secret santa, and as it has a soft surface its the sort of toy that we also use for finding, so if he takes it I can't think of him in the wrong, but it would take it back to taking of Honey, even if it isn't from her mouth if that makes sense?

Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
We have this problem as well, Honey loves to play on an evening and Kobe doesnt always play he rather just go to sleep but if Honey has a toy he will come and take it off her then she will get it back and the pair of them just annoy each other, havent had any luck yet with stopping it apart from taking the toys away but she just goes and finds them again.
Luckily my Honey doesn't take the toy back, I have to go and get it though, as she will stare at me until the game is back on
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Thanks, I'll have to start getting things like that done, hopefully soon Honey will have the confidence to stay while Diesel is sent away thanks.

I would be a bit hesitant having a finding game for Diesel going on at the same time though, as if Honey drops whatever she is playing with at the time to rest while she gets her breath back it might be confusing for Diesel, as he may take that toy as part of his game, as along with a rope toy with a ball at the end she likes to play with a tiger toy that she and Diesel both got for secret santa, and as it has a soft surface its the sort of toy that we also use for finding, so if he takes it I can't think of him in the wrong, but it would take it back to taking of Honey, even if it isn't from her mouth if that makes sense?

Luckily my Honey doesn't take the toy back, I have to go and get it though, as she will stare at me until the game is back on
Yes, that makes sense, but I was thinking of having him out of the room - i.e. hide his toy elsewhere in the house and send him out the room to look for it. you stand in the door way when you are playing with Honey so that Diesel can't come back in while you are still playing with her, but you can give him lots of praise and attention if he brings it back to you. Mind you, if he needs you to 'help' him find it, that approach won't work.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Yes, that makes sense, but I was thinking of having him out of the room - i.e. hide his toy elsewhere in the house and send him out the room to look for it. you stand in the door way when you are playing with Honey so that Diesel can't come back in while you are still playing with her, but you can give him lots of praise and attention if he brings it back to you. Mind you, if he needs you to 'help' him find it, that approach won't work.
Thats the thing, Diesel can still be nervous, and hesitant to go in certain places, he's great at find sometimes, but if it gets harder then normal he can take a bit of encouragement, which could be a bit difficult if I was playing with both together but I'll work it out