Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2004, 01:28 AM

I feel so horrible... *sad*

I have a few little kittens running around my house. There are three different litters and so they are different ages. The oldest litter of three are about 6 weeks old. They'd been living inside for the past few weeks since I found them. Today I decided it was time they spend some time outside, to get used to being outside and plus to get some fresh air and out of my cooped up bedroom.

So I put the three little kittens outside this evening and kept checking on them every 15 minutes or so. They'd never been outside before, so I knew it was a dangerous time for them. Every so often I would go outside with them and walk them around the yard. You know how kittens follow you where ever you go. So I was showing them around, pretty much.

Well, after coming back inside from being out with them, my dad came in the door and said that the Doof killed one of the kittens. Doofy is a GSD X Rottie and can be territorial, but he's never harmed our cats before.

Dad told me that after I went inside, the three kittens decided to follow him (Dad) around, so he was watching them. He turned around for a second and the next thing he knew Doof was on top of one of the little kittens, shaking it in his mouth.

Dad yelled and kicked at Doofy in hopes of saving the kitten, but it was too late. Actually, it was too early. Doofy hadn't killed the kitten yet, it was still alive and was suffering bad. Dad did the only thing he could; he grabbed a shovel and ended its suffering. (Don't ask why we didn't take it to a vet, the poor dear was suffering too much and probably wasn't even conscious, it was thrashing and flopping about...)

So my poor little kitten has gone off to Rainbow Bridge...

I feel terrible, as if it was my fault she was killed. I should have known that Doofy is questionable, but I didn't think anything of it since he'd never really hurt our other cats before. Don't worry, the other kittens are safe inside now and won't be going outside alone again. *sigh*

I just wonder what made Doofy decide he needed to chase and kill the kitten... She was only playing with her sisters, minding her own business. Dad said that he didn't even know Doof was around. He was just there suddenly, on top of the kitten, shaking her about.

I really hope this never happens again, I feel so horrible. I really do feel as though it was my fault. All other litters of kittens I've had have never had a problem adjusting to being outside. I just wish I knew what was going through that darn dog's mind. I wish we could be rid of him, he's a trouble maker. Oh well...

I've learned my lesson. Never leave anything alone with Doof...

-Tara
liberty
Dogsey Senior

09-09-2004, 01:33 AM
Oh dear..a very sad tale.never trust dogs with kittens or puppies for that matter...as for the shovel....well I guess you did what you thought was best.

libs
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2004, 07:10 AM
sorry to hear about your kitten

Emma
xxxx
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2004, 07:16 AM
So sorry to hear about your kitten
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Tara, sorry to hear about your kitten
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Thats sad that is!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Bon
Almost a Veteran

09-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Sorry to hear about your little kitty.
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2004, 09:11 AM
so sorry to hear about the kitten, is there any chance that doof thought that he could play with her?
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Thats what i was thinking Natalie, GSDxRots are very playful dogs, maybe he just wanted to play but got a bit rough, it happens, my friends dog killed their cat, wasnt intentional.

So sorry for your loss
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >