Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tash
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Lurcher needs somewhere to run!

I'm on a quest to find somewhere in the North Wales area for my three year old lurcher to have a run off his lead.

It dosn't have to be much - just a small enclosed back garden with a bit of grass would do - anything just so that he can run free off the lead for a few minutes.

He's a rescue dog and I have had him for a year now and he spends most of his time on lead but he absolutely loves to run given the chance, after all, being a lurcher it's his whole purpose in life.

I have tried letting him off in wide open spaces like the beach or open moorland but he has no idea of recall at all and just moves on from one exciting distraction to another until he is miles away. I'm working on recall but he seems to have missed out on a lot of basic training during his first two years before I took him on and has some traits that are hard to break.

I have tried letting him off with "sensible dogs" thinking he would stay close to them and play but he soon becomes bored and buzzes off into the wild blue yonder!

He also has the problem that he absolutely hates (wants to eat?) small white dogs, cats, squirrels etc. I have a feeling he may have been put to lamping in his early years and his hunting instincts are very developed - he goes loopy if we see a terrier when out walking.

Being a lurcher he is very laid back and loving - loves people and has the nack of greeting them as if they were the one person he has been dying to meet all day!

So - I need an enclosed space - any size, within striking distance of Llandudno. When let off he runs flat out for about 3 to 4 minutes and is then pooped - you can see why it needs to be enclosed - he can go an awful long way in 3 minutes at 30 m.p.h. !

I hope somone out there can help and I would be eternally grateful - I take Jasper out 3 times a day for walks but if he could have just one good run a week we would both be chuffed to bits.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Have you tried making contact with any local farmers? most will have fenced in fields and the worst they can say is 'no'.
Tash
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your reply labradork

Yes I have tried local farms but it is usually the case that there are sheep or other live stock in adjoining fields and being a sight hound, anything that moves needs investigating. As you know, once a sight hound has something in sight he will run straight for it regardless of brambles, rocks or hedges - they are renound for injuring themselves this way - Jasper can also jump like a gazelle once he is up to speed hence the need for an enclosed space where there is nothing else to distract him.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Aww wish i could help but cant sorry. Just wanted to offer support as we are in the same situation.
We have greyhounds and finding somewhere safe for all involved to let them off for a run is a nightmare. Up until about 6 months ago the kennels we got them from offered their field out for runs but they had to stop due to demand and lack of parking areas!
Phil is particularly bad with anything small/furry including small dogs, cats, squirrels, etc and also doesnt seem to get on with other dogs generally.
We only let them off muzzled and only early mornings when nobody is around in our local park.
Hope someone on here can help you find somewhere, to see them run is amazing and its heartbreaking not being able to offer them the chance. Good luck xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Fair points!

What about tennis courts? the ones that have several courts in a row are quite large with ample running room. But I guess it is a question of finding some that are free and aren't being used by anyone - easier said then done I suppose!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Shame your not nearer as I hire out a lovely securely fenced 3.5acre field for my girl to have a good run in.
Perhaps do what I done and see if there are any greyhound kennels your way as they may have large fully fenced grass areas that you could hire from them for a small amount. Thier greyhounds don't actually spend long out in them each day so it could suit both of you.
This is my girl having fun in the field I hire and its fully fenced all round by secure 6' high mesh fence and gate.

Tash
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for your support grommit - people with "normal" dogs can't understand what all the fuss is about!

As you say, seeing them run is fantastic and Jasper's face is a picture when he is at full speed.

We once had a semi successful run on the beach when my wife and I stood about 50yds apart and let him run. He went in a perfect oval around us, whizzing straight at us on the bends grinning all over his face and veering off at the last minute.
Then he was pooped of course but we didn't know about the "second wind" in those days and he recovered and buzzed off in a straight line over the sand dunes only to be caught about an hour later hunting down someone's little poodle.
O.K. - another lesson learned!!
Tash
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2009, 02:57 PM
That looks great madmare and your girl really sems to be enjoying herself! As you say - shame I'm not nearer. I will start looking for local greyhound kennels though - good idea!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tash View Post
Thanks for your support grommit - people with "normal" dogs can't understand what all the fuss is about!
There are plenty of us on here with not so normal dogs who understand completely! Good luck with sorting something out.

Fantastic arrangement you have there Madmare!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
There are plenty of us on here with not so normal dogs who understand completely! Good luck with sorting something out.

Fantastic arrangement you have there Madmare!
Yes its fab. We are off over there this morning as poor Shady has endured 3 days of lead walking and is now bursting at the seams with energy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >