Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 06:53 PM

to poop scoop or not to poop scoop ??

Arrgghh

Not long back from the park where i almost stepped in the third dog poo in as many days....

My local park is getting really bad for dog poo and I cant believe that people still dont pick up after their dogs.

However as I was looking at the park I realised the severe lack of bins probably has a lot to do with it. there is only one in the main park and its right at the top by the kiddies playpark. it really needs one at the other end aswell and perhaps over the other side. Whilst its not an excuseas I honestly beleive that responsible dog owners should pick up after their dogs, i dont think the council encourages it by the lack of bins.

Can they not come up with a solution like the biodegradable dog poo biuns you can buy in pets at home - and just have a very large on buried in one section of the park so that instead of filling the bins with plastic bags full of dog poop which will fill up our landfill sites - can they not enourage more environemntally friendly options??

So what i would like to know is if you dont scoop - why not ???

dani
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2005, 07:02 PM
My dogs will not foul on concrete, or any similar surface, they are mostly exercised in out of the way places, where very few people go, and to honest if I were to clean up after them everytime I would have to be a mountaineer, but fully appreciate where your coming from Dani.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Do you have a local dog warden Dani?
You should mention it to them if you do.

I've made friends with our local dog warden, she's really nice, and I'm sure they are open for new ideas!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Dani...

At the park I take my dogs to, they have a stand with a box full of bags, next to a bin. It's at the beginning of the trail so you can shove one in your pocket and go.

On the weekend I took them there and then by Tuesday, the bags were empty. I hadn't taken anything with me because the last time I had been there they had bags.

So...I didn't scoop because I didn't have anything to scoop with.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Our council gives out bags of you ask them!
I got a massive pile.

If they left bags in the park, the kids would probably 'steal' them, and litter with them!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Housedog
My dogs will not foul on concrete, or any similar surface, they are mostly exercised in out of the way places, where very few people go, and to honest if I were to clean up after them everytime I would have to be a mountaineer, but fully appreciate where your coming from Dani.
No I agree with you - if you are off the beaten track etc then its not a problem - for example if Bruno goes into the undergrowth etc and drops one - I aint going in their after him to get it - and Bruno will never pee or poo on the pavement or paths so I dont have that problem - he only does it on grass but If its in the local park/open grasy area etc i always pick it up as their are kids about and me not looking where I am stepping !!LOL

its totally understandable not picking up in the great outdoors - like in the woods or whatever

Hevvur - will need to speak to the dog warden I think as its repeat offenders as there are only locals who walk their dogs in the park and I am sorry to tsay but it tends to be the older ones and ones who freely wak their dfogs off lead that are the culprits !!!!

dani
hollyann
New Member!

13-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I heard that my local council (Ealing in London) have actually cut (almost completely) their dog-waste scheme, which involves installing and maintaining dog-waste containers, at a massive savings (can't remember how much, but it was a huge sum of money) - but it seems a bit shortsighted as some people will use any excuse to not scoop!!!

Near where I live there are no bins of any sort and I have been known to bring the bags into my block of flats and put them down the rubbish chute. I'm sure I'd be drawn and quartered if any of my neighbours found out (not that there is any smell or other trace of having done this, but I suppose it is a bit disgusting) - but there are no other options! I will not leave a pile of dog poo unless I literally cannot locate it (sometimes she runs away too quickly and if there's not much there and it's getting dark...). I've been known to grab an empty crisp packet from the gutter if I'm out of bags.

The countryside is one thing, but in an urban environment I feel it just has to be done...
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 07:26 PM
exactly - it is vile standing in it - and its just ot necessary - I dont eave the house without a bag - they are beside the lead so their is no excuse !!

dani
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I take bags where ever we go. And often end up carrying it back to the car and bringing it home. I keep an old (now unused) plastic sarnie box in the voot to bring it home. But having trod in dog mess I would not like to be the one who's fault it was.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I always clean up after my dogs, wherever! I buy packs of pedal bin liners and I have them in the car, in the pockets of all my jackets, and my handbag! It takes 1/2 min. to pick it up,so what's the problem with these people who just leave it there! It's not nice for us, it's not nice for our dogs, and it's not nice for the kids. I park in a small car park where they have a bin, then I walk up a small track to big open spaces, BUT the track is full of it, and it sooooo annoys me! Obviously the dog's going to go as soon as he gets out of the car, so this means it all gets dumped in the same place and it's getting horrendous! I bag it and leave it on the verge until I return on my walk (no, I never forget it!) and pick it up and put it in the bin, what's the problem? Obviously when they go in long grass off the bridleway, I don't go scavenging in there for it, but I would never, ever leave it where anyone could possibly walk in it. Yuk!!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »