View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:44 PM

Giving breed information (what do you tell potential purchasers about your breed?)

On the back of the Staff threads saying that staffs are a victim of their own popularity I would like to ask everyone what they tell people about their chosen breed when asked.
I speak to people who say 'the perfect breed','wonderful with people',easily trained' etc etc .If asked about either of my breeds I am very careful to ensure that any potential purchasers know ALL the bad bits. If they know all the bad bits and they are still keen then MAYBE they are suitable owners.If they are put off then I have saved a puppy being rehomed when the new owner doesn't like the hair on the floor,the barking,the not being allowed off lead etc.
Both my breeds are relatively unknown...and long may they stay so!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
Both my breeds are relatively unknown...and long may they stay so!!!
Hear Hear Archer !
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:49 PM
I get alot of comments when I am out walking Bruno - I always say - yes he is lovely but he is a real handful ! very strong and stubborn but very loving !

especially when its younger lads etc that are commenting on him !
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:53 PM
I always say that they are mad, hyper, and have to be worked hard otherwise they are naughty and destructive - - - all true! of course if the person then says we want a dog who needs miles and miles of exercise, it's brain occupying and a fun outlet for it's energy that we can share and bond in doing - i'll give them the contact details for a few other people so they can meet other kelpies as well as mine before they make an educated decision!
Hazel xxx
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by KickstartKelpies
I always say that they are mad, hyper, and have to be worked hard otherwise they are naughty and destructive - - - all true! of course if the person then says we want a dog who needs miles and miles of exercise, it's brain occupying and a fun outlet for it's energy that we can share and bond in doing - i'll give them the contact details for a few other people so they can meet other kelpies as well as mine before they make an educated decision!
Hazel xxx
Exactly!! I tell them as much info as possible...then if they seem still keen pass them on to some REPUTABLE breeders who can advise them further about the breeds needs and requirements.
IMO theres no such thing as the 'perfect breed' or perfect family dog'...all breeds have difference qualities and needs and as a dog lover I see it as my 'duty' to direct a potential owner towards making a correct decision for themselves AND the dog
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:59 PM
My catchphrase with this is "They are not a dog for everyone and not for a beginner!" I think it sums the breed up well.

I am always at pains to point out they are not born vicious, they are extremely intelligent, very dominant dogs who thrive with the right owners and correct training.

Oh yeah - and I love 'em!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Have to agree Archer, our breed do not look like trouble but are some of the most difficult dogs that you could own. Also agree that people are not honest about their breeds, have heard a Lab owner telling a prospective puppy purchaser that they are a very easy breed and you only have to show them once and they will remember, "after all they are what the Guide Dog people use" Now does that sound like any Lab you have ever met folks, of course not and I bet the people who bought that ladies pups will go through life blaming themselves that they did not train the dog correctly, and wondering why it is eating their home..
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 07:01 PM
I take time to explain how Malamutes can be noisey, hairy, dominant, BIG, that they need contant training, bad guard dogs, noisey (again) and any other of the BAD things I can think of

If the person is still wanting info I tell them to visit someone with malamutes as well as go to a show or a rally ...and then I go on to tell them how fantastic they are. Good with people, friendly, happy....and all the other marvellous things that can only be a Malamute

Finally I will give them info on good breeders
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 07:10 PM
I tell them ALL the bad points even if I personally don't find them bad points others might. I don't want people rushing off to look for a cute puppy only to find when it's full grown it's not for them
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 08:09 PM
I was totally misled by a "breeder" of labs when I got my two many years ago. I was told they would be fine on their own whilst I was at work, were quick learners and not destructive. Naturally, it all ended in tears and my broken heart when I finally had to rehome them at 5 years old..... Other reputable breeders who I spoke to whilst going through troublesome stages told me in no uncertain terms (and quite rightly so) that they would NEVER have sold me one puppy, let alone two. I still miss my "boys" and would love to have a lab again, but under the "right" circumstances this time
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >