View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2017, 12:40 PM
To be honest Harvey, our council sold the homes to a housing association...from experience, they are happy enough to take your ret but when you want something doing...like pulling teeth!! as for the problem tenants, when the council had the homes, you were thoroughly vetted, any bother was jumped on immediately, there are a few round here who cause trouble and i am talking neighbours needing panic buttons!! and the housing associations response? if the tenant who has done no wrong doesn't like it...put in for a mutual exchange!! i gave my keys back in the end and returned to my parents
Dad was with Saga for his first BMW, they were the only ones who would give him insurance at a decent price, the next year it went form about £600 to £1200...without him claiming for anything
Oooooo Brenda, lucky you, something to look forward too
Lacey, have a lovely walk
Twix...sorry, i am keeping my sunshine!!!
Made my dad pasta bake for his tea, mum has been to the hospital, her blood results aren't good, she may need to come off her medication she has psoriasis and is 80% covered, the medication she is on is great so i am worried sick they are going to take her off it
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Hm I'm in West Sussex twix and lots of sun. Where in se england are you? I will put the fan on and blow some your way.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Sun seems to have gone in here, was out before and very strong, girls got 2 umbrellas up and citronella candles burning.
Took Kesh and Zen onto the river, not as nice as the waterfall we go to, and pretty muddy, but at least they got themselves soaked through and will be kept cool in the heat. Lona and Mabs had a walk up to the field and a bit of a play with a ball each and took some piccies of them for Cullan's daddy. Cullan is one of Zen's brothers and I got a lovely vid of him the other day to mark his 2nd birthday, they are in Brighton area and were in the sea. Lona seems to be a bit better today, she has been very low and not that interested really since Cariad passed. Curled up in a ball, puts her head up and a tail wag to say hello and thats about it. Today she is beginning to turn a corner and was pleased to see son and quite lively compared to how she has been. Last night she kept coming over to me for a cuddle and a kiss, I feel so sorry for her, losing your sister who you were born with, grew up with and lived with all your life is a very hard thing, despite the fact she has family around her I know its not the same.
Have painted the underside of the decking now. Son has done some more painting and cleared off and will be back tomorrow.
Nothing I can do now till the decking dries and I can turn it over, which will be tomorrow. Painkillers and a sit down with the telly or a book this afternoon.
So pleased your car passed its MOT, Moyra. Though if its only done 200 miles in the year it would be hard for anything to go wrong.
Have a great holiday Brenda, hoping the midges don't get you, they are Scotlands Secret Weapon
Terrible about this fire, reports were coming in about it late on last night and its unbelievable there were no safety measures in place at all. Those poor people expected to put a damp towel by the door and stay there, or risk the flames, can't get my head around it. You would expect a sprinkler system of sorts to be installed, outright disgrace really
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Afternoon. Phew it's a hot one after hair and shopping walked into a nice cool living room. Dillon has two fans one floor standing conventional fan the other a sort of air conditioning one. You put water in a container and freeze blocks really cools the place down.
Had my obligatory turn round plonk his bum on my lap and give me nose kisses now settled on the floor by my feet.

Moyra so glad the car passed.
June good news about Lona beginning to turn a corner. They surely grieve the same as us.
How was son ?
Kazz I am sure your friends friend must have a good air conditioning system and hopefully walk very early and very late or not all if to hot.
you can also but cooling coats I tend to find like this morning a good cold wet towel draped over his back works.

That tower block from what I have been hearing is privately owned by some company who also own two other tower blocks nearby I believe. They had the fire brigade on their back about safety issues for the other two and this one the residents set up a committee voicing their concerns about safety. Seems nothing was done.
If sprinklers are't put in as a matter of course in tower blocks maybe councils and private companies should seriously think about it now. Such a tragedy and horrible way to die.
Funny that the other two blocks nearby weren't affected and concrete yet the one covered in some fancy cladding became a towering inferno. The other two blocks are not owned by the company that owned this block I think.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2017, 01:43 PM
just opened the door to the conservatory and it was 118f degrees in there. That is about 48c in foreign money.

Lounge is in a mess as no 2 son is trying to pack everything as he goes back to Brazil this afternoon. Be nice to have the place to ourselves but will miss him, heavens knows why.

We checked and it must have been at least 9 years since we were all together Sue + 2 sons and myself, seemed strange and who knows when we shall all be together again.
yesterday we all went to the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch
railway and . my car air con didn't seem to be blowing cold so booked it in for a check. They said it should have an aircool check every 2 years but they didn't do it on the 2 year service and they should have mentioned it. Now coming up for 3 yrs they slipped up somehow as i bought the car new from the same main dealer and service by them
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2017, 02:28 PM
the Housing association here have clad the tall tower blocks in that plastic stuff as well...guess it's the easiest option to update the look of a building and stop them looking drab. The tallest block round the corner from me is three storeys..think thats right, ground, 1st, 2nd and 3rd...there are no sprinklers in there and each flat has hard wired smoke detectors that can't be by passed and all doors are fire doors, even those who privately own them had to fork out for fire proof doors...people were kicking off about it but really, a few hundred quid or your life?
Tumbleweed, hope your lad manages to squish everything into his cases Lol
Awwww bless Lona, pleased she seems a little brighter
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-06-2017, 02:45 PM
I think this block was about 18 floors or possibly more griff.
No money can be put on a life can it ?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
They asked her 'well what do you want to pay then?' She said same as last year so that's what happened.
Where's my sun? Got grey clouds here.
That really made me smile, I think I would have been tempted to say £5

I'm sending you some sun, we've got too much here
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
If sprinklers are't put in as a matter of course in tower blocks maybe councils and private companies should seriously think about it now. Such a tragedy and horrible way to die.
Hi Lynn, I take Griff's advice as being more up to date and she has lived in one of these so she should know.

I'm really amazed there is no legislation to have a sprinkler system. I'm almost certain that if you are a private landlord and you convert an old Victorian house into let's say six flats then you come under the so called 'Multi-occupancy' rules and you must install a fire alarm system and I always thought that meant sprinklers as well.

So 30 or so years ago when I was installing door entry systems on those tower blocks it seems the tennants had the benefit of knowing when they had a visitor but no sprinkler system, which is the more important doesn't seem a difficult question to me, but like I said above we really do live in a crazy world.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
the Housing association here have clad the tall tower blocks in that plastic stuff as well...guess it's the easiest option to update the look of a building and stop them looking drab.
Flippin heck Griff, what's more important, a nice shiny building or something that will save your life

If you go to Eastern Europe you will see hundreds of high rise blocks in all the big towns and cities. They all look drab, in fact they look like grey monolithic slabs (Which is basically what they are)

I've no idea if they have sprinkler systems installed, my guess is they do not. However, it has to be said that internally they are clean and functional, the idea that they might get covered in graffitii, or the lifts used as a toilet, never arises because it just doesn't happen.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >