Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rzezucha
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2017, 05:38 PM

Need help with my Alaskan Malamute puppy

Hello all,
I need help with my 4 months old Alaskan Malamute puppy. I bought him when he was 2 months, then shortly after that he got pneumonia. He spend week at the animal hospital having antibiotics and oxygen pump. After that they kept him for 2 more weeks on antibiotics. He got cleared off for that and the vet said his X-rays are good. Then after being off the antibiotics for a week he started having rainy poop. We thought it was because of the food change so we waited for couple of days but his poop wasn’t hanging. Our Vet gave us special food to regulate his poop for one week. The food helped for 2 days and then after that he started having rainy poop again and started doing it even more often throughout the day. We tried over counter medication for diarrhea from PetSmart, but it didn’t help at all. Vet tested his poop for worms, but it showed that there are none. At this point poop was rainy for almost 2 weeks. The Vet gave us Metronidozole Tabs to stop it, but it didn’t help at all. At this point I also started giving him some Probiotics. After using them we went back to the Vet and they suggested doing abdominal X-ray, which only showed gas in his intestines. Then we decided to try giving him Fenbendazole for worms for 3 days, and Tylan powder for a week. After that poop started to be normal for 3 days, but since today he started having his rainy poop again. We are still on Tylan Powder for 3 more days. Also, around week ago we started cooking for him white rice with chicken and carrots, and stop giving him any treats. For the whole time of having his rainy poop he remains full of energy and still have appetite. The Vet is suggesting that he may have twisted intestines and wants to do X-ray with barium, but it doesn’t sound right for me since my puppy is not in pain in any abdominal areas. He also doesn’t have any blood in his poop. At this point I feel so helpless and have no idea what could be wrong with him. I don’t want the Vet to keep on doing bunch of not needed test and put him in more stress because of that. Also, he is rapidly growing now and because of all that rainy poop he is so skinny. Any help or advises would be highly appreciated. Thank you!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2017, 09:54 PM
I strongly recommend you start feeding raw food. Do not give him any carbohydrate ... if you feel nervous about feeding raw, then feed him cooked meat but raw is best. raw or cooked egg is good. Alaskan Malamutes are very wolfy, and cannot tolerate kibble or processed dog food, they need to be fed a natural diet of raw meat and bones with some veg and fruit. There is plenty of information on the internet about how to raw feed. We went through exactly what we went through with our wolf cross puppy, Hal. He was skin and bone and we were so worried about him, but we eventually found out about raw feeding and he never looked back.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2017, 11:03 PM
The vet we have on board may come on at some point to advise. I don't think he comes on every day, but he does usually respond to health questions when he visits the board.