Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Do boarding kennels effect behaviour ?

On the lines of a couple of other threads re boarding kennels;

My lurcher has started to develop signs of SA, never had a problem before but i have been off work for a couple of months because i had quite a big op beginning of May and i have been in the house a lot due to convalescence. Before i would take my boy to school and then take the dogs to the woods for an hour/hour and half exercise before leaving for work around 11.30 and not coming back home until 2, sometimes 3.30 with no problems. Plus they have an evening walk for half hour.

I haven't been able to walk the dogs but my dad has been but only on lead walks in the park for half an hour twice a day. On the couple of occasions i have had to go out for some shopping i have come back to carnage, magazines ripped up and her peeing on the floor to name a few incidences, when i go out i am only gone for a hour tops.

I think this is due to her being out of her routine which in the week is pretty much the same every day.

I may have to kennel them as i am going on holiday for a week and have no-one to look after them.

Anyway, cutting to the chase is it likely that her behaviour will be exacerbated by being in kennels for a week. She was in kennels at Dogs Trust for 2 months before i got her and she has had one overnight stay in kennels since then.

She is very attached to me and sometimes when i even just go upstairs she will sit at the bottom and whinge or she will come up and lay on my bed until i come down again

Opinions please, sorry for the long post !
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:23 AM
SA is often caused by allowing dogs to follow you about everywhere so they never get used to being alone.

If you are at home for long periods then of couse this is exacerbated as they get used to your presence and the contrast between constant access and then denial when you resume normal activities is huge.

This is also one of the drawbacks of "having a routine" dogs can then not cope when that routine is disturbed as it will be on occasions.

So in preparation for a kennel stay I would strongly suggest that you do not permit her to come upstairs and lie on your bed etc

You are not helping her to become confident and competent.

None of my dogs have ever had any issues with SA either before or after going to kennels.

This is because I start alone training from 7 weeks and I ease them into kennels ie a morning, then an afternoon, then an all day, then an overnight and then a weekend.

This means their anxiety levels are reduced when they HAVE to go in.

I also do not have a "routine" so dogs will be exercised and fed at all sorts of different times of the day.

HTH
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I appreciate what you are saying but unfortunately, my life is very routine ! i have kids and so in the week it is very samey.

I realise i have not helped by being at home for a while but unfortunately that could not be avoided, as i said i have recently had a big op which meant i was housebound for most of the time. I've had to rely on othersto maintain the routine much to my annoyance !

I have started to resume my usual routine so hopefully things will settle down again, the holiday is not until the end of July so i shall have to build up the times she is left gradually again.

I don't usually allow them to lay on the bed and as soon as she does i tell her off and she gets off but she will wait outside the door until i come down.

I also thought maybe the reduced exercise may have something to do with it. We have been out for a long walk this morning so i shall see !
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:41 AM
IME greyhounds and lurchers often seem to have issues with being left. Try doing the stuffed kong in another room thing and shuttung the door. Build up the time you leave her for, give her confidence that you will come back. Maybe ask if you can leave her in the kennels for an hour or so a couple of times before you go, just to get her used to the idea that you will be coming back to get her.

If the kennels won't do that for you I would suggest looking for one that will. You will probably have to pay but it will be worth it in the long run.

Good luck
rune
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I used to kennel my 3 only Bailey has a bad reaction to it but that's more to do with the noise/excitement level and his eyesight issues.

All 3 go mental when I pick them up but as long as I take em for a good long walkies on the way home they're fine and show no lasting effects. If I don't take them walkies they're bouncing off the walls until I do. The kennels I used only have a fenced off enclosure for them to 'run' in.

I use a house sitter now because of Bailey and he's much happier I suppose my other two appreciate the familiar surroundings too.