Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2007, 02:41 PM

Warming to Gordon...

Not so many years ago, I used to visit Scotland for a week each year, in order to indulge my passion for oil painting. Since I first set my eyes on Scotland, I've harboured a not-so-secret love affair with the place. It is as close to perfection as I believe a place ever comes. To add to that, the places where I would typically visit, Fort William, Tarbet, etc have some of the nicest people you are ever likely to meet. They have, in my view, a warmth of character that is largely missing in many Brits.

Then, of course, came the prospect of Gordon Brown becoming our Prime-Minister. I was nervous. I didn't want him crushing my love-affair with Scotland and the Scottish people. I feared that it was inevitable that it would happen. His clunking fist was sure to come in and smash my rose-coloured mirror that I have pointed at those fine lands.

However, here we are, a week into his premiership, and he's impressing the hell out of me. Though, I should perhaps point out that this is more likely as a result of my fickle needs from a Prime-Minister, than anything else.

The first thing I heard was that he is now flying the Union Flag on the rooftops of Downing Street. There's a picture of it here. Just look at it. It's stunning!

Finally, we have a leader who is not afraid to be proud of Britain. For years now, Britain has abandoned the Union Flag, with some offering the weak excuse that it had become claimed by the BNP. Get lost. I'm not buying that for a second. Even if it were true, it would take little effort to claim it back again. Don't believe me? Gordon Brown is already doing it! It will never cease to amaze me that we had to wait for a Scot to lead us before we grew the balls to proudly fly the flag again.

Then, as though he is on a mission to kill me off, he announces that he's lifting the ridiculous ban on flying the Union Flag for more than eighteen days in a year. Something that has long-since irked the hell out of me.

I'm a Frenchman and yet I seem to be more proud of Britain than many native Britons. I don't get it, I really don't. It's as though the Brits see it as a weakness to show pride in their nation. This is one of the very few areas where we might be better served to emulate our American cousins. The Brits seem to have pride (misplaced) in their country only when there's a football match on!

The immense pride that the Americans have in their nation is astonishing. Yes, to the more reserved Brits, it can seem a little over-the-top at times, but on the whole, I think it's a positive thing. It's far from unusual to see American citizens flying their national flag in their gardens. Many of them can recite their constitution too! I think it's no shock that Gordon, as a huge fan of America, is starting to see the value in their core beliefs in patriotism and pride in their nation. It can unite an otherwise disparate country and I think it's high time someone grasped this nettle and ran with it.

I am so proud to see that we finally have a Prime Minister who is looking at this country with pride and doing his damnedest to foster that pride, not only locally but across the world too. Long may it continue.

So, will you be flying the flag in your garden? If not, why not?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
No flags for me I'm afraid. I'm not patriotic in the least, I don't care that I am British anymore than I care whether I'm black or white.

I'm glad that GB seems to have a bit more about him than TB though.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2007, 02:53 PM
WELL SAID, THAT MAN.
i see you're french, have you not heard of the auld alliance between scotland and france in the 16th century.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
You've obviously seen something I haven't!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
have you not heard of the auld alliance between scotland and france in the 16th century.
You lot only wanted it for the French wine, which you'd fallen in love with.