View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
roz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2005, 10:42 PM

A Knot! Can anyone recommend the best tool to use to get it out?

My Maremma has got a little ball of her fur matted into a knot behind her ear which looks quite close to the skin. Can anyone recommend the best tool to use to get it out?

Thanks.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2005, 11:55 PM
I always use talc powder and apply quite a lot to the knot (this helps to absorb the grease in the coat make the knot easier to slid out) and then the best thing to use is your fingers. Hold the know between you finger and thumb and with the other hand pull and little tiny bit of hair in the opposite direction of the knot and keep on going until you have broken it up into lots of small knots. The get a comb and holding the hair at the base use the end of the comb in a vertical position and comb down through the coat, this should brake the knows down even smaller. Then still holding the coat at the base turn the comb round the right way and gently comb through. This is what i do if our wheatens have a knot. Hope this helps.

sarah xxxxxx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2005, 07:21 AM
same as above but without the talc.
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Loads and loads of conditioner/untangler spray and make it all loose to pull out.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2005, 10:00 AM
I would not use a tool but gently prise apart the knot with my fingers bit by bit than add a little conditioner and comb the rest out it.
The best thing really is not to let knots form by having a quick groom everyday it takes very little time and gives you the opportunity to spot any small problems before they turn into big ones , it also gets your dog used to regular handling.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 04:54 PM
ooo i forgot to say if you do go with the talc thing you need to rub it into the knot. I have had lots of experience with long haired breeds and i have always done it like this and it doesnt hurt the dog i find this way.

sarah xxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wheaten mad
ooo i forgot to say if you do go with the talc thing you need to rub it into the knot. I have had lots of experience with long haired breeds and i have always done it like this and it doesnt hurt the dog i find this way.

sarah xxxxx
That sounds a good tip Sarah I will try it if I ever get any knots
roz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi

Many thanks for your responses..I've managed to untangle it and comb it out.
She's beautiful again..

Roz