Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:52 AM

Tick Removal Tool

Since ticks can be really difficult to get out without a proper tool - last year I bought a Tick Twister O'Tom Tick Removal tool and the few ticks that did manage to get past my defences came out a treat; you couldn't even see where it was.

It's much better to get a tick out in one swift move including the mouthparts and then it doesn't cause any form of infection at all.

This is the one I use, from France:

http://www.otom.com/homepage.htm

The O'TOM® hooks (also marketed under the trademark "TICK TWISTER®" ) allow tick removal from the skin of animals and people.

They are always sold in a two pack (the large hook for the medium and large ticks, the small hook for small and very small ticks) , and are currently the most efficient tools to remove all ticks, any size and location,
  • without leaving the mouth-parts of the tick planted in the skin
  • without compressing the abdomen of the ticks, minimizing the transfer agents (Lyme's disease, babesiosis...)
  • without ether or other products
  • in a few seconds, without pain
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Tick Twisters are great. The easiest way I've found yet to deal with the little monsters. My one has been in action already this year.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I think they are brilliant. I have tick tweezers as well but they simply aren't as good!
Becky
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I do aromatherapy and an alternative to tools you could use Eucalyptus oil dropped directly onto a tick which will cause it to drop off.
You can then use it on yourself for many things like stings, insect repellent, colds, headaches as well as being an expectorant.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 05:21 PM
That's the same ones we bought from our vet last year - there are two different sizes in the packet and were very cheap to buy.

I couldn't be without mine!! They are a doddle to use and get the entire tick off so easily.

We often walk in the Lakes and there is lots of bracken that seem to harbour ticks I always do a wee check-over to ensure Marius doesn't have any on him.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 06:54 PM
They are disgusting things ticks - i took my dog to the vets to have it removed, i was afraid of leaving the head behind if i tried to remove it - cost me £10 though ! - i think i may invest in one of those gadgets