Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2004, 12:17 PM

Stop Pulling!!!

Hi with sonny being a very excited pup what would you recomend to stop him pulling?
I have a half choker which I use all the time, sonny just sounds like a 90 yr old man as he tries to pull away. I have tried a halti but with him being a boxer that was no use as it just rubbed on his eyes and hurt him. He will be going to obedience classes from fri and I hope that will help but he is just facinated with everything around him and wants to catch leaves and birds and anything else flying around and unfortunatly he takes me with him

Love sam and sonny

PS sorry for all the questions being a doggie mum is all new to me
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi Sam

When Rocky pulls I jus give the leash a sharp pull backwards and say 'slow down' I'm sure it doesn't work! But I guess in time he'll learn what it means - I think repition is the key...
(But I'm no expert like yourself!)
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I have tried that but being a weaklin' sonny always wins that game.

I think repition is the key...
That is a hope that I cling to aswell

love sam and sonnyx
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2004, 01:07 PM
I use a halti on Star for going to the park. It is only on for short periods of time. There is a boxer size that I got for Star but she is still a bit to small for it.

Other than that its a case of stopping and starting and practising heel work (which is not going very well )
Bon
Almost a Veteran

19-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi Sam, see the link below for leash training tips. I looked after a Boxer for a year and taught her to walk properly on leash. One of the things I did if she started dragging me is to make her sit down and stay for awhile, then we would start off again. If she started to pull I would make her sit again, she soon got the message. Good luck.

http://www.perfectpaws.com/leash.html
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the link it was very helpful I think his new class will be a massive help because I must admit I have been lazy with his training cause he hasn't been going to classes. but I am going to be better once he is back at 'school'

Thanks again

Sam and sonny
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2004, 06:17 PM
I teach my dogs to heel by: walking forward with the dog on my left. As soon as they get to the end of the lead, do an about turn and walk the other way. When they are at my heel, I say heel. When they get to the end of the lead, I do another about turn and go back the other way. This takes a while for them to master but they soon realise they have to keep an eye on me.

Another thing I do is to teach them steady which means they can walk ahead of me on lead rather than in the heel position. I find it makes the lead walks a bit more interesting for them as they can sniff the ground. When I want them to come back to the heel position, I just say heel.

Helen
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

21-04-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm an advocate of the stop start method - I also start them off with heelwork off the lead in the garden so they know exactly what they are meant to be doing (not to say they do it when out though ).

I know I'll end up boring you all to death, but give clicker training a try - works wonders!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

21-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey Al did u think anymore of pasting your clicker training info in the training section? If you do make sure your link is in there too so you get proper credit! SOrry if I'm repeating myself but I missed loadsa posts a while ago as this place got a bit too frantic!

Maybe u could have your own thread "Clicker training with Alison of Volsung" would be great advert for u an I'm sure Dogweb wouldn't mind
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

21-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Ooooooh I could be the Nigella Lawson of clicker training.....hmm perhaps not, I'm more Clarissa Dickson-Wright :P !

I don't mind reproducing the info at all, will I get my hands slapped though ?

The big question is though, do you want the reality article of starting out with the clicker with Alison and Keeper ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >