Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
filbs123
New Member!
Male 

18-12-2006, 07:22 PM

house training GSD pup

Hi everyone,just a quick question about house traing my GSD pup 13 weeks old,I have only had the little beute a week and when its time for bed I have been putting newspaper down for his toileting...but whats the next step as he only goes on the newpaper nowanty advice would be great..thanks...Allan
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-12-2006, 07:30 PM
I never bothered with newspaper. I just took my two out every so often until they got used to going outside. As wee pups it was every half hour or so. Also if I saw them sniffing etc or any other sign that they wanted to go then I'd take em out. When they "done the biz" outside I gave em loads praise. If they done it inside I just took em outside straight away, no fuss etc.
If you are gonna use newspaper I guess it's a case of moving the paper closer and closer to the door until eventually they are outside.
Whichever way ya chose it's all down to being patient.

Good luck
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

18-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Do you mean that the only place he goes is on the newspaper or only during the night? If he is using the paper all the time then it is a case of moving some of the soiled paper outside and taking him out to it if you think he is going to use the inside paper. But if it is just through the night then leave him for a while yet, he is only a pup and probably hasn't got complete control of his bladder yet.Providing he has plenty to drink during the day just leave a very small amount of water in his bowl at night so that he cannot fill himself. And make sure the last thing you do before going to bed is to take him out to empty himself, and the first thing in the morning the same. As soon as he hears you moving he will be up and needing relieve himself.

It's a cold job in the winter, but you'll get there in the end. Kath
filbs123
New Member!
Male 

18-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks yes he is fine during the day and evening he goes to the door when he needs to go,but I only put newspaper down when he goes to bed for the night which I suppose in puppy world 7 or 8 hours must seem an awfull long time,I was wondering when to start removing the paper do you think its best just to reduce the amount of sheets a bit at a time....thanks...Allan
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi filbs, Your puppy will not start to gain control of his bodily functions before four months of age so can't wait to go out to relieve himself. When puppies are asleep they don't feel the need to go out and some will sleep thought the night.

I really don't like to use newspaper at all except in exceptional circumstances where the dog does not have access to outside. Putting newspaper down is encouraging the dog to soil in the house when you really want it to go outside.

I prefer to get up in the night with puppies if they wake and gradually extent the time when I go to I take them out, you only have to do it for a short time and it is well worth it.

Here is an article on house training that may help you.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974