Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Emma129 View Post
pepsi, understands, sit, stay and get down/get in, BUT only when she wants to, if she ignores me and i get up to her and she knows i mean it, she will do as asked, she,s excellent with treats, she will sit
and wait to be told she can have it,

We all love oru dogs, but sometimes we over indulge them and create spoiled monsters (the same is true with our children).

Your post indicates to me that you are not consistent with your training.

If your dog does it SOMETIMES it indicates to me that she has learned that "when mum says something I can ignore it until and unless she (insert relevant behaivour) and then I know I will get (insert relevant consequence).

Dogs learn what they live and are a reflection of their owners.

So why not decide from THIS point forward what you DO want and what you do NOT want and ensure there are consequences for EACH time the dog exhibits the appropriate/inappropriate behaviour?

It will be difficult in the short term, but in the long term you AND the dogs will reap the rewards as life will be very calm as they will KNOW what you want and not have to guess!

This will mean both YOU and the DOGS can relax..............

Make a list of rules, stick to them RELIGIOUSLY ie do not say "well it is Friday, I am tired, he has been good etc etc so I am going to let it go" remember dogs learn by cause and effect and by what WORKS.

If their behaviour does not WORK they stop doing it.

You will get what is called an "Extinction Burst" at first, this means the inappropriate behaviour will INCREASE as the dog will say "this always worked in the past, perhaps I better bark louder, longer etc etc" but it WILL work if you expect this and just carry on.

HTH

this little pup is soo adorable, cute and loving, do you think he sees pepsi as his mother because they are the same breed and she looks almost identical to his mother?

No

I will not use the water with pepsi if you think it could be detrimental, tho with pepsi, i only have to show her the bottle and shes off like a shot (i used it a few times because of barking) but stopped as i felt guilty

I know that the initial meeting should have been done on neutral teritory, but we drove such a long way to pick him up and we wernt allowed to take pepsi and they couldnt meet outside as the puppy had had no jabs

One more question, ive read that once i can walk them together this could bond them, is this right?

Thank you so much for the help and advise you have taken the time out to provide, i really appreciate it, i feel a little better and ready for todays challenges
Do not expect too much too soon, and do not expect behaviour from your dogs that you are not prepared to fulfil yourself.........
Emma129
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys, im gunna go buy a safety gate today and some mesh so the little guy cant get through, when pepsi gets mean when shes on the sofa, i will put her on the floor to, already started this, i have cut some hot dog up ( which pepsi has NEVER been allowed) and give it to pepsi when she shows possitive behaviour

When the pup starts to jump around/up at pepsi, should i put him in time out?

Should i allow grr and such from pepsi but when she pins him, snarling, remove her to time out?...do i wait till shes finnished and tgen remove her, or grab her whilst its happening and remove her?

I didnt think having two dogs would be THIS much harder than 2, but im not giving up, no way!!

Thanks guys
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
It took me about 3 months before my very territorial (ok ok spoilt rotten primadonna) cat would even tolerate the dog's existence on this planet - they're not awesome now, and the dog's scared of the cat (he's about 5 times the size of her) but they will share a sofa, and if the cat hisses cos she wants a spot and the dog doesn't move (he normally does) - she will now sleep on top of him.

Introductions take AGES!

(I think I know what you mean by shouting the dog - do you mean shouting FOR the dog as in a "come here" kind of way? Probably just a bad choice of verb if so! I think you mean more "calling" the dog.)
Emma129
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
(I think I know what you mean by shouting the dog - do you mean shouting FOR the dog as in a "come here" kind of way? Probably just a bad choice of verb if so! I think you mean more "calling" the dog.)

Lol YES, that is exactly right, my bad in explaining, but yes thats just what i mean, calling her over, i see now why it was confusing

Im going to be working hard to make this work
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2