Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Litter Runt

Afternoon all

I have a friend (more an aquaintance really) who is looking into getting a pup, she has found a breeder she really likes but the only pup left is the runt.

Could this pose problems in later life or can the runt of a litter be just as healthy as the others?

Your opinions appreciated.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I had a small pup {I guess you could call it the runt, boobah may be upset though }
Kizzy was a small pup, she is very healthy though, never had a days illness I dont think, sure boobah will let us know if im wrong, but shes as hard as nails, never goes lame.

she is still small for her breed, That said boobah only ever bought her for a pet, she had her spayed and so on, I guess so long as the dog is healthy being small makes no diff
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I had a small pup {I guess you could call it the runt, boobah may be upset though }
Kizzy was a small pup, she is very healthy though, never had a days illness I dont think, sure boobah will let us know if im wrong, but shes as hard as nails, never goes lame.

she is still small for her breed, That said boobah only ever bought her for a pet, she had her spayed and so on, I guess so long as the dog is healthy being small makes no diff
Thank you Shona, thats what i was hoping, the breeder has been very up front about it and the pup has no health issues, its just smaller than the rest of the litter.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:07 PM
My Cassie was classed as the runt (Cocker Spaniel) she had a long, not too healthy (although that was mostly old age stuff) she dies aged 14. Wonderful dog, very intelligent and a lovely companion.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't worry, as long as it is healthy. I have heard on many occassions the runt of the litter turning into one of the best dogs ever in looks and personality. So it wouldn't bother me.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:21 PM
boobah has loads of photos of kizzy on the forum, she is very small, but I would say on the whole shes a very fit and healthy dog,
we do call her a sawn-off-rottweiler though
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
we do call her a sawn-off-rottweiler though
I like it!!!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:28 PM
This is Dewi my family's dog.

He was the runt of the litter (GSDxcollie x whippet lurcher), and the last one left of an unwanted litter given to the rescue centre to home. He is very healthy, and very intelligent.

Aparrantly runts are often more intelligent as they have to start thinking and problem solving from a very early age. A big pup can easily push it's way to get to it's mother to feed, the runt often has to think about it, and move away from the mum and pups, all the way along a line of feeding pups and back to the mum to find a spare nipple. It is said that they can be more of a challenge to train (in a good way) because they think for themselves!

Dewi has also been a thinker and loves a problem to solve!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:37 PM
here is a link to photos of kizzy with the rest of my gang, you can spot kizzy a mile off,
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=85815
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for that Shona

They are all beautiful, you must be very proud!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >