Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Skychick
New Member!
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:38 PM

Something up with my Cocker Spaniel

Hi, I have a cocker spaniel, 4 yrs old. She was outside from 10am until about 5pm today as we were working outside and she was running around a lot (compared to 3 20 minute walks she has usuallywith two longer 1 1/2 walks per week).

She was fine when we left to come home, but a little while after we got back, she seemed v tired, I thought it was just because she'd been more active than usual.
She had her dinner as usual with no loss of appetite at 7.30pm but noticed she was a bit off colour shortly afterwards. She seems to be limping but putting her feet down and we can't see anything wrong with her leg or anything in her feet. She doesn't seem to be in pain but is quite sleepy, and a bit miserable.

Could it be that she's pulled her leg muscles or tired herself out? When she walks they look stiff.
Her heart beat is about 88 bpm.

Forgot to say that she can hardly jump up onto the sofa, but not sure if this is because of the problem in her legs or because of this 'tiredness'.

We took her for a short walk outside at 9.30pm, she was slow to move to start with but started moving more freely and pulling on the lead like normal when she caught a scent. She did a pee and poo, all looked normal colour and consistancy. When we got back home she sat on the sofa and is looking sorry for herself.
She's drinking her normal amount of water too, although she's just walked into the kitchen and taken a big drink of water, her breathing is normal, not rushed/panting/very slow.

I did spot someone feeding her a piece of raw bacon this afternoon, she's been running around a large rural area that has grass, fields etc about.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be up with her? I'm going to keep a watchful eye over her and take her to the vet if she doesn't seem right by the morning.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Have you looked in her mouth - check if her gums are nice and pink or if they are pale and faded. If they are really pale then it's more likely she's under the weather (with ?) than tired from the extra activity.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:48 PM
were you close enough to see it was raw?..........
Skychick
New Member!
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi,
Yes, sorry forgot to say that I checked her gums, they are normal pink colour.
Yes, the bacon was raw. It's someone that works at the same place as us and I've told him so many times not to feed her.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:00 PM
i would say let the vet check her over ...thats the best thing

hope all is well
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2006, 10:03 PM
How much bacon was it ?

Dogs are usually pretty resilient when it comes to iffy food.

The most important thing is that she's drinking - I'd see how mobile she is in the morning.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Nothing really to add, except watch her very closely. Hope whatever it is, it's trivial and soon passes. Keep us posted please - we do love to worry
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Has she been spayed?

Sorry not trying to scare you, but take a look at jackiew's post here: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=48332
Skychick
New Member!
Female 

25-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Yes, we went through Pyometra last year. She had been off her food and drinking lots of water, although acting normal apart from that (we had just moved house so thought it was just the upset of that). We knew something was really wrong though when the discharge started to come out as she was constantly cleaning herself. Went to the vets that night who said it could be an infection or poison!
They gave her an injection as she had a bit of a temperature, then we took her back to the vets first thing in the morning. They shaved her belly and did a scan and said it was an infection and that they would operate that afternoon. We went back the next day to get her and they said there had been a 'complication' something to do with her internal organs, so had to wait another 24 hours. When we went back she was awake and it was so great to see her!
She nearly pulled all her tubes out as she jumped up to say hello to us! She walked out to the car just like normal, we were amazed.

Good news this morning, she seems to be back to normal so I'm thinking it was just over exertion. Will keep a close eye on her though just in case and let her take it easy today!

Thanks so much for all your help.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Morning Skychick,
So pleased your little one seems better this morning. Lets keep our fingers crossed she'd just overdone it. My lot send her a big hug and wet kisses
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >