Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 04:14 PM

A Little Brag... And Some Help Please!!

Hey,

I've not posted much recently as i've not got much internet time left (dial up ) so haven't been online much.. But, we have still been taking the dogs to shows!

Last weekend was a disaster.. Both puppies came last and Meg was apparently not even seen as 'good enough' for 4th (last) place So that was a bit disappointing to say the least!!

But we've just got back from a limit show today and we had a much better day! Meg won AV Puppy, Riley won AV Novice and AV Maiden and Meg went on to be reserve best puppy in show!!

I did also have some good news.. Theres was a 'Best Labrador in Show' class. We didn't win it but the judge came up to me after and said that Riley was absolutely stunning, but i need to work on him. He said i need to get him looking a bit more active when he's running. If he'd have done that apparently he'd have won without a doubt!

So.. Now i need some help! Riley has ALWAYS been very laid back showing. I dont think its that he doesn't enjoy it, i think he just gets a bit bored after a while and doesn't see the point in hurrying round the ring He's fed on a good, high energy puppy food, and he's fed plenty (though not too much as i dont want him 'show lab' size (ie fat!lol)) and he's very, very active and excitable at home!
Can anyone suggest anything i can try to get him running a bit better when he's showing? I've tried food, and that only worked the first couple of times and i just cant think what might get him a bit more wound up! Anyone else had this problem or have any advice for me?

Thanks
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 04:18 PM
That's fab news, congratulatins!!!

Unfortunately I have no ideas on what you can do to help in the show ring but I'm sure someone wil be able to help soon
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Unfurtunatly......... they either love doing or not! Ihave a friend who has a Vizsla and and he is stunning got everything in the right place, he hate showing ( much rather be at home or in the woods) he will just switch off when you take him into the ring, and you have to drag him around ( its hard work, I know I have done it!)....... and she has tried everything to make him more alert , but he just hates it.......so I dont know what you can do m maybe someone will has a idea........... mybe give him a rest from it for a few months, he may come back a bit more enthusiastic!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 05:39 PM
I dont think that its that he doesn't like it. He wags his tail while he's going around and he looks happy enough, its just that he goes so slow and kind of drags his feet a bit He's more than happy to do it, the problem is that he does it as HIS pace, not mine! I just need to find something to make him a bit more alert..
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Has he got a favourite toy a ball, something to excite him a little bit, you could keep it in your pocket and take it out when you are about to move him, some dogs find showing really boring. Food wouldn,t work with one of my dogs either, but when he saw his ball he thought it was play time and moved better for me
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Congrats Jessica!!
If he's a typical lab then just holding a treat will get him looking more active! It always works for Murph!!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 08:38 PM
I have the same problem!!! I have a VERY nice elkhound who was very much admired as a youngster.He however usually shows like a sack of spuds! I have changed his diet which seems to have improved his energy levels....1st show on new food on 2 weeks...will let you know how I get on
PS WELL DONE ON YOUR RESULTS!!!!!
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I normally have the opposite problem with morgan he wants to break into a gallop. I normally get the judge come up after and say he lost out for 1st because of this. Hes getting a little better lately after i started taking him to ring craft classes but he shows better indoors he thinks grass is for running on. Back to youre problem have you tried keeping him in the car until his class is due. I know that worked for me one day when it was hot and morgan had won his class but had to go back for best of breed. It was late in the afternoon and he had been there all day he was tierd and fed up so i took him to a quiet shady place for a while and when i took him in he was perked up and he won. Now its cooler you could get him out at the last miniute so he is interested and fresh would that help?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I dont think he has a favourite toy.. He's not a big fan of the toys actually and very rarely plays with them. I did buy a little squeaky puppy toy and tried that at the ringcraft and he paid no attention at all to it

As for the car.. Not really an option as Riley is a bit of a barker If i left him in the car he'd sit there howling We do keep them in a crate around the ring, and he does spend most of the time asleep in it..

Someone did suggest it might be his age, and that he's growing and stuff. He is only 10 months old and seems to still be in the middle of a huge growth spurt. Could that be taking the energy out of him?

Its nice to know someone else has the same problem though! Let me know how yours goes at the show please Archer! I hope the new diet works!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica
Its nice to know someone else has the same problem though! Let me know how yours goes at the show please Archer! I hope the new diet works!
Will do! Frustrating isn't it! and I've had this problem for about 2 years now.Sometimes he will go into the ring a shows like a star.He did it at Crufts and did very well getting 2nd and then being considered for the RCC....other times he is embarrassing.
Must admit he shows better for my daughter but she is a bit dubious about handling him at times cos if hes in the wrong mood he can put his head down and be a right git.All his wins have been with my daughter handling...but hoping the food will make some difference too
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >