Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
I have a morbid fear of dentists due to the fact that when I was about 7yrs old (only 49yrsago ) I can clearly remember being dragged into the dentist by the nurse and being held in the chair and "gassed" to have a tooth out ,and the fear remained resulting in me being absolutely terrified,like not having been for the past 12yrs until I fell (no alcohol involved.......... honest) and loosened my 2 front teeth. I had no choice and as I walked into the dentist to make the appt I broke into tears thinking I would have to wait ages for an appt. the prac. manager seeing the state I was in arranged for me to see the dentist then and there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like running but knew I had no option, Well to cut a long story short Kevin (the dentist) was wonderful,even promised me he wouldnt hurt and after 7 visits over 9weeksI have 3 new teeth and the rest "fixed"
So I know just how you all feel, must admit after coming out of the dentist that first time it gave me such a buzz dont think I would have been flying any higher if I'd been given a million quid.

jeanette
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I'm telling you guys, if you have a true fear of dentists the sedation is the way to go. One of the best things that has happened to me. Don't think all dentists do it as they have to have an anaesthetist and not all of them do.

I have a true fear of needles included in my fear of the dentist - everything about the dentist terrifies me, but all it is is a scratch on the back of the hand for the canular and you're out the game. It's £60odd for the anaesthetic alone but it's well worth it. You don't remember a thing about the procedures, no drill flashbacks, no nothing and all I remember is being aware of my surroundings when I was half way down the motorway to home obvously someone else has to drive), and you don't even feel at all queezy. It's magic!

I was referred by a local dentist as I was just too terrified to have anything done, even just a tiny filling and they thought this was the best option for me. And it was. The dentist I go to now is in the south side of Glasgow but I don't mind travelling to it. The dentist is so gentle and calm and a far cry from the mad, scary woman I had in the local dentist!
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
A big to all you brave guys. I need 12 teeth out and am really scared to pick up the phone to make an appointment but I know it has to be done. I remember being so scared when I was young and they used to use the mask to put you out. I wouldn't even have gas and air when I had my 4 babies because anything near the mouth reminded me of the dentist mask.
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
My dentist doesn't use any numbing gel, but I don't think the injections are half as painful as they used to be. On Saturday I had to stop him as he was pulling the tooth as I could feel it, he then gave me an injection in the roof of my mouth that made me cry out...I didn't feel a thing for about 24 hours after that!

I would always go for the jab Shona, no matter how small the filling, just incase they get a bit near the nerve, the pain of that far outways the little prick you are thinking about

Good luck to everyone that needs treatment, most of my teeth are filled already (take after my mum for having weak teeth), and I can honestly say that I'm not scared of the dentists these days, so things must have got better.
Originally Posted by petebren View Post
Thoughts are with you as you sit in that chair, down it goes and no going back!!!!! I also spent more time than can remember in dentists and still ongoing, roll on falsies keep begging him to give me them better than the nerves I get going to the dentist, even for a cdeck up, sad eh, anyway hope it goes ok and the relief you feel afterwards well its unbelievable xxx
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
am so glad its not just me afraid of the dentist. have managed nearly to finish the treatment started in the spring. have got my top dentures and going for impressions for bottom ones. scared though as i still have a splinter of tooth in the bottom gum that i think might have to come out. got a lovely dentist though.....

sue

You guys are all so brave, geez here's me going on about a tiny filling I will duely smack myself around the head and get a grip lol
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 10:07 AM
It doesnt matter if its a filling or multiple extractions we all have the same fear..........honest My dentist was just brilliant he would always say to me before he did anything at all,that if I wasnt" happy" or had any discomfort at all just to raise my hand and he would stop.
have the jab, the discomfort is absolutely minimal especially if the area is numbed first.
At the age of 56 I have now been to the dentist on my own for the very first time

Jeanette
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 10:10 AM
It doesnt matter if its a filling or multiple extractions we all have the same fear..........honest My dentist was just brilliant he would always say to me before he did anything at all,that if I wasnt" happy" or had any discomfort at all just to raise my hand and he would stop.
have the jab, the discomfort is absolutely minimal especially if the area is numbed first.
At the age of 56 I have now been to the dentist on my own for the very first time

Jeanette
That made me feel better Jeanette, as I OH was taking Mickey as I neede someone to hold my hand but I am going to show him your post he'll have to put up with it for anothe 22 years!! Well done you for going on your own.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Jeanette
lol thanks for that jeanette I was kinda pleased that I went alone too. felt all big and brave after the checkup
the dentist is new she has only been there for two weeks, but she was prob the most gentle on my mouth I have had, and she didnt have massive big hands, that helps too
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 10:13 AM
As you all know I'm dental phobic,my mom was a dental nurse too
I plucked up the courage to go last year,I was a wreck
Anyway I needed alot of work doing and some teeth out,I was referred to the hospital.My female dentist was really lovely,I took the chickens way out and opted to have them all taken out under a GA.
So come march off I went to the hospital as a Day Case,took down to threatre at 2pm back on the ward at 3pm minus 28 teeth plus my four wisdom ones.
My gums were a little sore and tender,one I had removed was stubborn and I had a bit of pain from that one,I took painkillers at night for a few nights.
It was the best thing I ever did,I now have a lovely smile again
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 10:17 AM
I must be weird..I quite like going to the dentist....

Especially when he lets me choose a sticker LOL
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Glad it went well hun.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
As you all know I'm dental phobic,my mom was a dental nurse too
I plucked up the courage to go last year,I was a wreck
Anyway I needed alot of work doing and some teeth out,I was referred to the hospital.My female dentist was really lovely,I took the chickens way out and opted to have them all taken out under a GA.
So come march off I went to the hospital as a Day Case,took down to threatre at 2pm back on the ward at 3pm minus 28 teeth plus my four wisdom ones.
My gums were a little sore and tender,one I had removed was stubborn and I had a bit of pain from that one,I took painkillers at night for a few nights.
It was the best thing I ever did,I now have a lovely smile again
They stole 28 teeth? 28! geez that must have been fecking agony hope they gave em back to you,,, you would have made a fortune from the tooth fairy with that lot!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I must be weird..I quite like going to the dentist....

Especially when he lets me choose a sticker LOL
That's why we don't like the dentist then!.......'Cos we don't get a sticker!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 04:28 PM
how many teeth does an adult have?
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >